Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I don't know whether this is "weiter + skippen" or "weiters + kippen", although the latter seems somewhat implausible because I've never seen "weiters".

In a forum for fans of Nena, I found this:

Ich hab neulich mal meine Lieblingslieder auf eine CD gepackt und im Auto gehört. Dann habe ich ein paar Patienten im Auto mitgenommen und denen erklärt, dass in meiner Karre Nena angesagt ist. "Yeah, Nena ist voll cool! Die Hör ich auch gern! Bin voll der Fan!" War dann so die Reaktion. Kurz darauf waren die Kids dann am weiterskippen, weil die kein einziges Lied kannten.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

As you already suspect, it is weiter+skippen, where skippen is derived from the English verb skip, as in “skip from one track to the next on the CD”. The prefix weiter- doesn't add much to the meaning, except possibly a notion of directedness (no random hops).

(As an aside, there actually is a word weiters. It is used in Austria instead of weiterhin.)

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.