Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I would like to say that I am very sorry for a situaton that is not my fault but is causing serious trouble to someone, and I would like it to sound firm but not too formal as the personal context is also important:

Ich bitte um Verzeihung fur diese Situation.

Is this sentence ok? Thanks for any help.

share|improve this question

Have a look at german.stackexchange.com/questions/7031/… –  falkb Oct 2 '13 at 11:48

Thanks, would it be ok then to say Es tut mir Leid fur die Situation? –  wojtek Oct 2 '13 at 11:54

@wojtek Besides my answer, you can also say: "Die Situation tut mir sehr leid." to adopt your example. –  insertusernamehere Oct 2 '13 at 12:11
add comment

marked as duplicate by c.p., Em1, Baz, Vogel612, chirlu Oct 4 '13 at 2:24

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

2 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

You could use:

"Ich bedauere deine/Ihre/diese Situation (sehr)." (informal/formal/without any personal address)

Which means: "I'm (very) sorry for your/this situation.". It's more like "to sorrow" or "to regret" instead of apologizing.

Or simpler but also a little more informal:

"Es tut mir (sehr) leid für dich/Sie." (informal/formal)

Which means: "I'm (very) sorry for you."

share|improve this answer
Anstatt Situation ist auch Lage gebräuchlich. –  alk Oct 2 '13 at 16:03
add comment

You could also say "Es tut mir leid, dass es so gekommen ist" or "das ist ja eine blöde Lage".

Generally speaking, Germans don't excuse as often as Americans. When you try to pass someone in the supermarket aisle, you say "excuse me" in the US. In Germany you say "kann ich mal durch?" ("can I get through?") and sometimes that's not even really a question.

In your situation it may be fine to just not say anything or say something like "das ist ja eine blöde Lage" to express your empathy.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.