Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I need help with the following; I am learning how to write application in German and I was wondering if the sentence below is gramatically correct:

Zurzeit befinde ich mich im 3 Semester meines Studiums der Mathematik und in diesen 3 Semesters habe ich sowohl Teoretische als Angewandte Mathematik Kursen gemacht.

What I want to say is:

I am currently enrolled in 3rd Semester as an undergraduate in Mathematicss and during these three semesters I have taken courses in both Theoretical and Applied Mathematics.

Thank you for your feedback beforehand!

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by user unknown, Vogel612, Baz, unor, Wrzlprmft Oct 6 '13 at 8:59

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

"Semestern" instead of "Semesters" and "Kurse über theoretische als auch angewandte mathematik besucht." instead of "Theoretische ... gemacht." and you're right. –  rimrul Oct 2 '13 at 19:09
I'd use "belegt" instead of "gemacht" and I'd also use a spell checker. There are probably 10 or so errors in there –  Hilmar Oct 2 '13 at 19:17

Just a practical advice: In case you actually want to apply for something in Germany, make sure to find out if an application in not so good German or in good English is preferable. –  Carsten Schultz Oct 3 '13 at 16:10

@rimrul: Mathematik aber nicht klein. Kurse Theoretischer wie Angewandter Mathematik als Teil des Kursnamens sind hier m.W. auch groß zu schreiben. –  user unknown Oct 4 '13 at 22:24

1 Answer 1

I would adjust it a little bit.

If you just took one of each courses:

Zurzeit befinde ich mich im 3./dritten Semester meines Studiums der Mathematik. In diesen drei Semestern habe ich sowohl den Kurs Theoretische Mathematik als auch Angewandte Mathematik belegt/besucht.

If you took multiple courses of theoretical and applied math.

Zurzeit befinde ich mich im 3./dritten Semester meines Studiums der Mathematik. In diesen drei Semestern besuchte ich sowohl Kurse der theoretischen, als auch der angewandten Mathematik.

What I changed:

• "the third" must be followed by a dot ".": "[…] im 3. Semester […]"
  • the plural of "Semester" is also "Semester", but when saying "during" you have to use the phrase "in diesen Semestern"
  • to take a course can either be "belegen", "teilnehmen" or "besuchen"
share|improve this answer

It seems, there 2 or more courses of each kind... And he could also write the "third" out ("im dritten Semester"). –  rimrul Oct 2 '13 at 19:19

@rimrul You're right. I've updated my answer accordingly. –  insertusernamehere Oct 2 '13 at 19:23

And the technical term for „Kurs“, if it is supposed to be a broader term then „Vorlesung“, is usually „Veranstaltung“ (short for „Lehrveranstaltung“). –  Carsten Schultz Oct 2 '13 at 23:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.