Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I need help with the following; I am learning how to write application in German and I was wondering if the sentence below is gramatically correct:

Zurzeit befinde ich mich im 3 Semester meines Studiums der Mathematik und in diesen 3 Semesters habe ich sowohl Teoretische als Angewandte Mathematik Kursen gemacht.

What I want to say is:

I am currently enrolled in 3rd Semester as an undergraduate in Mathematicss and during these three semesters I have taken courses in both Theoretical and Applied Mathematics.

Thank you for your feedback beforehand!

share|improve this question

"Semestern" instead of "Semesters" and "Kurse über theoretische als auch angewandte mathematik besucht." instead of "Theoretische ... gemacht." and you're right. –  rimrul Oct 2 '13 at 19:09
I'd use "belegt" instead of "gemacht" and I'd also use a spell checker. There are probably 10 or so errors in there –  Hilmar Oct 2 '13 at 19:17

Just a practical advice: In case you actually want to apply for something in Germany, make sure to find out if an application in not so good German or in good English is preferable. –  Carsten Schultz Oct 3 '13 at 16:10

@rimrul: Mathematik aber nicht klein. Kurse Theoretischer wie Angewandter Mathematik als Teil des Kursnamens sind hier m.W. auch groß zu schreiben. –  user unknown Oct 4 '13 at 22:24
add comment

closed as off-topic by user unknown, Vogel612, Baz, unor, Wrzlprmft Oct 6 '13 at 8:59

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

I would adjust it a little bit.

If you just took one of each courses:

Zurzeit befinde ich mich im 3./dritten Semester meines Studiums der Mathematik. In diesen drei Semestern habe ich sowohl den Kurs Theoretische Mathematik als auch Angewandte Mathematik belegt/besucht.

If you took multiple courses of theoretical and applied math.

Zurzeit befinde ich mich im 3./dritten Semester meines Studiums der Mathematik. In diesen drei Semestern besuchte ich sowohl Kurse der theoretischen, als auch der angewandten Mathematik.

What I changed:

• "the third" must be followed by a dot ".": "[…] im 3. Semester […]"
  • the plural of "Semester" is also "Semester", but when saying "during" you have to use the phrase "in diesen Semestern"
  • to take a course can either be "belegen", "teilnehmen" or "besuchen"
share|improve this answer

It seems, there 2 or more courses of each kind... And he could also write the "third" out ("im dritten Semester"). –  rimrul Oct 2 '13 at 19:19

@rimrul You're right. I've updated my answer accordingly. –  insertusernamehere Oct 2 '13 at 19:23

And the technical term for „Kurs“, if it is supposed to be a broader term then „Vorlesung“, is usually „Veranstaltung“ (short for „Lehrveranstaltung“). –  Carsten Schultz Oct 2 '13 at 23:34
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.