Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What preposition do you use to say something like

"I will talk to you on skype/facebook/whatsapp."

I made a sentence like this, "Ich werde mit dir reden per whatsapp." Is that correct? If not then how would you correctly say this?

share|improve this question
jemandem in or über WhatsApp, Facebook eine Nachricht schreiben; aber bei Twitter, Facebook etwas posten bzw. schreiben –  Em1 Oct 7 '13 at 11:57

4 Answers 4

There are different ways depending a bit on the medium.

For WhatsApp you got it right using "per", which is like "via WhatsApp":

Ich schreibe Dir per WhatsApp.
Wir schreiben uns per WhatsApp.

When it comes to SMS - as discussed in the comments, you can use either:

Ich melde mich per SMS bei Dir.

Or more commonly:

Ich schreibe/schicke Dir eine SMS.
Ich simse Dir.

Where the latter is really colloquial and I wouldn't encourage to use it.

For a Skype chat you can also use:

Ich schreibe Dir per Skype.

For a Skype call you can use a verbalization, like in "Google it":

Wir skypen.

For all others "auf" (I would suggest using this one) or "bei" (not so common) are good choices:

Ich folge Dir auf(/bei) Twitter.

which means "I follow you on Twitter".

Ich werde Dir auf/über Facebook schreiben.

Because in this cases you're referring to the platform and not the service.

share|improve this answer

At least to my ears „Ich werde mit Dir per soundso schreiben“ is wrong, even though it would be fine with „reden“. I'd suggest „Wir schreiben uns per soundso.“ –  Carsten Schultz Oct 2 '13 at 21:54

@CarstenSchultz Yeah, that bothered me too while answering. I adopted it from the OP. But now as you feel that way too, I've updated the answer. It's a bit vague though, what the OP wants to express. –  insertusernamehere Oct 2 '13 at 22:00

Is what I explained I wanna express vague? Well, it's like I posted something on facebook and one of my friends asked Was passiert? I didn't wanna talk about the details of the issue on that public facebook status so I wanted to tell her "I will talk to you about it on whatsapp." Thank you so much for your comment by the way :) –  louise Oct 3 '13 at 3:11

@Takkat I can see the SMS part - I edited the answer. Regarding "folgen": I would always use "auf", but it seems that "bei" is also common. Take a look at those search results: "ich folge bei twitter" and "ich folge auf twitter" –  insertusernamehere Oct 3 '13 at 9:01
+1 great edit :) –  Takkat Oct 3 '13 at 9:17

It is per, or via.

in and auf are used in this context, too.

Bist du per Skype erreichbar?

Lass uns das via Skype regeln.

Not so often

Hast du meine Nachricht in Skype gesehen?

Used in connection with websites

Ich habe dir was auf Facebook geschrieben.

I think the good preposition used is auf:

auf skype , auf twitter , auf whatsapp

"auf Whatsapp"? –  rimrul Oct 2 '13 at 21:24

I agree that "per" and "via" are probably the most accurate choices but I don't hear them often. In my peer group at least, these are common:

Ich schreibe/folge dir bei Facebook

Ich schreibe/folge dir auf Twitter.

For chats (that are no social networks), there's also:

Ich schreibe dir im ICQ.
Basically, "in" plus the dativ.

Well, I've never heard "im" ICQ but only "in" ICQ. Same applies to other messengers. – The first part of your answer, however, has already be given in the last section of insertusernamehere's answer. –  Em1 Jun 10 at 8:22

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.