Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English we can say

Such lovely songs.

Can we say in German

Solche herrliche Lieder.

to mean the same thing? If so, should it be herrliche or herrlichen?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I would use it like this:

Solche herrlichen Lieder.

But you can also say:

Solche herrliche Lieder.

In singular you can use:

Solch (ein) herrliches Lied. or
Solches herrliche Lied.

Here's an explanation from canoonet: "Pronomen, Artikelwort und Adjektiv solcher, solche, solches":

Wie nach einem Artikelwort kann ein Adjektiv nach solch- schwach gebeugt werden:
    solche schönen Bilder
    mit solchem großen Eifer

This basically says, that you can use either one of them.

Here are also some details and more examples about solch on duden.de with some more examples: "sol­cher, sol­che, sol­ches, solch".

As a side note: Herrlich is really fine here, but there are a lot of synonyms you can use too.

share|improve this answer

@Takkat I did a little more research - take a look at the quote from the explanation on canoo.net. Your direction was the right one. –  insertusernamehere Oct 3 '13 at 9:47
@insertusernamehere: much better :) However I am still confused whether after "solche" we have a strong, a weak, or a varying inflection in this case. I suspect that both may be possible here but I found no reference for that. –  Takkat Oct 3 '13 at 9:58

5 removed obsolete comments for clean-up –  Takkat Oct 3 '13 at 9:59

@Takkat Yeah, I didn't find anything on that either really. But as you said, you can find lots of examples for both usages. –  insertusernamehere Oct 3 '13 at 10:01
show 2 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.