Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was listening to a song, and this line tripped me up: "Du böses Kind, bist aufgewacht nein wie geschwind."

I think it translates to "You naughty child, don't wake up so quickly," but if that's the case, why isn't it "nicht so geschwind"? I've never run into that kind of "nein wie" construction before. Is there a difference?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

The word nein is not only the well-known negation. It can also be an interjection expressing surprise (positive or negative) or disappointment:

Nein, das ist aber schön, daß du hier bist!
Der Schlauch hat sich wieder gelöst. Nein wie blöd!

I’m not sure what the best equivalent in English would be, but oh should work most of the time:

You awoke, oh how so fast.

Note that the process of awaking is already over at this point.

share|improve this answer

Would I be right to think that this use has become rather rare, or do I just live in the wrong part of Germany or the wrong sociological stratum? –  Carsten Schultz Oct 7 '13 at 15:41
add comment

The part:

..., nein wie geschwind.

It could also be written and understood as follows:

..., "unglaublich" wie geschwind. // unbelievably how so fast.

... "und so" geschwind. // and so fast.

... "mann" wie geschwind. // man (dude) so fast.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.