Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My homework is due on the day before. I forgot to hand it in yesterday. I hope Mr. X will excuse me. Can I say

Entschuldigung für die Verspätung.

share|improve this question
Ultimately, yes you can except that you should say "Entschuldigen Sie" when addressing your teacher. But you should add a little more content and tell us what's the reason you think this sentence could be wrong. –  Em1 Oct 7 '13 at 8:49
So... did Mr X excuse you after all? –  Emanuel Oct 7 '13 at 13:59
add comment

4 Answers

The complete and most commonly used sentence would be

Bitte entschuldigen Sie, dass ich meine Hausaufgaben erst heute abgebe.

Usually you would give a reason, too.

share|improve this answer
add comment

There's nothing wrong with it. But this sounds more that you are late, not the hand in of your homework.

You could improve it by using a pronoun, which makes it more personal while talking to your teacher. Furthermore you could add a subject to describe what exactly is late.

Entschuldigen Sie bitte die verspätete Abgabe meiner Hausaufgabe/n.

Mit so vielen Substantiven klingt das nach Formaldeutsch, nicht nach etwas, was ich im Alltag benutzen würde. –  Robert Oct 7 '13 at 16:09

@Robert Stimmt schon. Jetzt stellt sich mir die Frage, ob im Rahmen dieser Seite formales Deutsch oder Umgangssprache der bessere Vorschlag ist. –  Steve Benett Oct 7 '13 at 16:56

Ich denke im Umgang mit Lehrpersonal ist das eine völlig akzeptable Formulierung; nur wird sie von Schülern nie verwendet ;) –  Em1 Oct 7 '13 at 17:34

Steve: Das muss Fio entscheiden. Ich hatte angenommen, dass Fio dem Lehrer sagen will, dass seine Arbeit verspätet ist. "Lehrer" und "sagen" waren da für mich ausschlaggebend, das eher informell zu machen. –  Robert Oct 7 '13 at 17:34

Wir sollten hier auf jeden Fall immer zunächst die korrekte (und formelle) Formulierung angeben. Zusätzliche umgangssprachliche, regionale oder saloppe Formulierungen sollten als solche gekennzeichnet werden. Ausnahmen bestehen natürlich, wenn ausdrücklich nach einer umgangssprachlichen Formulierung gefragt wird. –  Takkat Oct 7 '13 at 17:58
add comment

Pretty much, yeah. Maybe with a little explanation why you forgot it. But a simple

should do.

Which still sounds like you are late for class, not that you're handing in your homework late. –  Thorsten Dittmar Oct 7 '13 at 15:32

If you enter the room, yes. But if you hand over the homework? Its about the context. –  ZimTis Oct 7 '13 at 16:03

I don't know if you're a native speaker, but when you think back to your school days, would you have used your sentence when handing in your homework late? –  Thorsten Dittmar Oct 8 '13 at 7:00

Yes, thats why I post it. I'm not a very formal guy and I often keep me short. Perhaps I should have mentioned, that this is very informal and the meaning is based on the context. Thanks for your criticism. –  ZimTis Oct 8 '13 at 8:12
add comment

seems okay to me.

Alternatively

Entschuldigung für die verspätete Abgabe [meiner Hausaufgaben].

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.