Here is a sentence from book:

Wenn möglich, bevorzugen wir die direkte Kommunikation und vermeiden die meist deutlich aufwendigeren und verlustbehafteteren indirekten Kommunikationstechniken.

I do understand verlust = loss

Is behafteteren similar to behaftet?

Wenn an etwas Verlust haftet ist es verlustbehaftet. Die Steigerungsform ist verlustbehafteter. Manche Grafikkompressionsverfahren sind verlustbehafteter als andere. Oct 7, 2013 at 19:02
  • It should be noted that this is an example of terrible German word building. Verlust and Anhaften are contradictions and simply don't go together. A painful word and imo only acceptable in the context of data compression.
    – TaW
    May 23, 2015 at 8:35
    For me the word is fully OK. I see not really a contradiction, "behaftet" can refer to different attributes, so it does mean "attributed with loss". "Verlustfrei", the opposite, sounds a little bit better, though. If someone doesn't like the word: Use "nicht verlustfrei" ! The pair "verlustarm/verlustreich" shows why the word "verlustbehaftet" is needed- to sum up the two. And I have no quick idea of a better one. "Verlustreich" comes near, but contains a valuation which is not the main idea.
    – Philm
    Jul 10, 2015 at 17:38

1 Answer 1

behafteter is the "comparative" form of behaftet

behaftet
behafteter
am behaftetsten

now this comparative form is inflected to match the feminine gender. you just change the stem to our comparative form and the result is:

behafteteren

a fitting translation would maybe be:

more afflicted

in combination with Verlust this becomes:

afflicted wit losses --> lossy  
more afflicted with losses --> lossier

this makes the whole sentence translate to:

If possible, we prefer direct communication and avoid the considerably 
lossier and more laborious means of indirect communication

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.