German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the difference between schon, längst and tatsächlich?

Ich gehe schon/längst/tatsächlich zur Arbeit.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by user unknown, chirlu, Baz, Em1, c.p. Oct 8 '13 at 18:11

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Was sagt denn der Duden, Leo oder ein anderes Lexikon, was der Unterschied sei? – user unknown Oct 8 '13 at 12:56

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

"Ich gehe schon ...":

"schon" is used when you are doing something earlier than pretended.

1a) It is used for the explanation that one is already able/allowed to do something. Like when an infant would say

"I'm not in kindergarten anymore, I'm already going to school" - "Ich gehe schon zur Schule"

1b) can also be used when you are earlier in the means of daytime:

"Wait it's 7am, are you already on your way to work?" - "Yes I'm already going to work" (earlier than usual) - "Ich gehe schon (früher) zur Arbeit"

"Ich gehe längst ...":

like "schon" but way more exagerated. Can also be used together.

2a) Like the kid was very astonished that the others didn't know it already a long time is old enough for school.

I'm already going to school, I'm 7!" - "Ich gehe (schon) längst zur Schule, ich bin ja schon 7 Jahre alt"

2b) Your wife reminds you that you may be late for work and you respond

"I'm already on my way to work" - "Ich gehe ja (schon) längst zur Arbeit"

"Ich gehe tatsächlich ...":

3) "tatsächlich" means "indeed". The only case when you would say that is, when someone is pretending you are doing something and you agree.

"Oh it's 8 AM, so you must be on you way to work now" "Yes indeed I'm on my way to work (right now)." - "Ja genau, ich gehe tatsächlich (gerade) zur Arbeit".

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.