Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to say "So, I still don't understand this. Why did you do it that way?"

I think the two most appropriate words for "so" are the German so and also. But I'm not sure about the word ordering.

(a1) So, ich verstehe dies noch nicht. Warum hast du es in dieser Weise gemacht?

(a2) So verstehe ich dies noch nicht. ....

(b1) Also, ich verstehe dies noch nicht. ....

(b2) Also verstehe ich dies noch nicht. ....

Which ones are correct?

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted
  1. As a conjunction or as an adverb, so is sometimes translated as so in German. In your case, however, it's an interjection, which is used after a short pause; here to pick up the topic again in order to pose a further question.
    As a interjection it is always translated as also (which is never translated as also from German to English).

2. In German it's not that common to say dies and jenes as you would use this and that in English. You should simply say das.

3. As this is a normal main clause, the word order is still: subject (=Ich), predicate (=versteh nicht), object (=das/dies). Of course, nicht moves to the end of the sentence as you already did.

Also, ich versteh' das noch nicht. Warum hast du das auf diese Art und Weise gemacht?

If you want to stress the object you can change the word order. You put the object in the first place and switch subject and verb:

Also, das versteh ich nicht.

share|improve this answer
add comment

My translations for

"So, I still don't understand this. Why did you do it that way?"

are

"Also, ich verstehe das immer noch nicht. Warum hast du das so gemacht?"

"Also, das verstehe ich immer noch nicht. Warum hast du das so gemacht?"

My apologies for the "so" in the second sentence, it's not meant to muddy the waters. As Em1 said, you'd pick the second version to emphasize that a particular problem is hard; the first one expresses a personal lack of understanding.

However, I have known people start similar sentences with "So, ..." or "Na, ..." rather than "Also, ...". There are regional, personal, and situational preferences at play.

add comment

(b2) is correct for „also“ with the meaning of “hence”. (b1) is nearer to your English sentence. (a1) would not be said at all, (a2) has the same meaning as „Ich verstehe das so noch nicht.“ That is not what you want.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.