Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The phrases auf jeden Fall and auf alle Fälle are possible alternatives for jedenfalls.

1. Vielleicht ist er krank, er sieht jedenfalls schlecht aus.
  2. Er ist noch nicht gekommen, aber er hat sich jedenfalls entschuldigt.

Can I also replace jedenfalls with wenigstens?

share|improve this question
In both sentences I would not say "auf alle Fälle". In the first sentence "auf jeden Fall" is OK but not in the second one. You can say "wenigstens" in the second but it's a little weird in the first one. In both sentence you can go with "zumindest". –  Em1 Oct 10 '13 at 7:01

Ich finde jedenfalls im 2. Satz falsch. Was soll es ausdrücken? Zumindest ginge. –  user unknown Oct 11 '13 at 1:28

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Wenigstens is a word of positivity, and often optimism and hope. You say it if you're glad that something is at least that level and not worse.

So if you said ..., er sieht wenigstens schlecht aus, this would mean you are glad he looks at least bad. I think this is not what you have in mind and that's why wenigstens is not appropriate here.

In your second sentence it's a good choice to use wenigstens because you appreciate his sorry. That's a positive signal after the bad situation, so hope and optimistic thinking relieved it a bit.

share|improve this answer

Im Satz "Er hat wenigstens nicht gelitten" sehe ich keine Hoffnung und keinen Optimismus ausgedrückt, denn diese beziehen sich immer auf die Zukunft. Das Wort drückt eher aus wenn auch sonst nichts gutes zu vermelden ist, so .... –  user unknown Oct 11 '13 at 1:34

@user unknown: OK, you're right with the gelitten example, I'll add positivity to my answer. –  falkb Oct 11 '13 at 8:54

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.