Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As far as I can see, "noch nie" means "never", but "nie" also means "never".

So when to use each form? Eg

Ich habe diesen Film nie gesehen

or

Ich habe diesen Film noch nie gesehen

Thanks

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

It's getting clear if you translate noch nie with not until now.

Your first sentence just states seen=yes or seen=no. You could use it in a neutral, informational situation or to express your disinterest.

The second sentence implies there's still an opportunity or will to try it. You could for instance use noch nicht when you're at the cinema and you discuss which movie to watch next.

share|improve this answer

I thought for the "not yet" case it would be like "ich habe diesen Film noch nicht gesehen". Is this valid as well? –  karoshi Oct 14 '13 at 15:05
@karoshi: nicht or nie - it doesn't matter, the number is always 0. You can say both ones, though nie puts more weight on that 0 than nicht. –  falkb Oct 14 '13 at 15:20

@karoshi I would even say that "Ich habe den Film noch nicht gesehen." is much more common than "Ich habe den Film noch nie gesehen.". I think one uses "noch nie" more often, if it's not likey to change or you don't believe that it will: "Das war nocht nie anders gewesen, das war schon immer so.". –  insertusernamehere Oct 14 '13 at 18:58

Nie translates to a generic never, noch nie means never before, not yet.

Ich habe diesen Film nie gesehen.

"I have never seen this movie."

Ich habe diesen Film noch nie gesehen

"I haven't seen this movie ever before."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.