Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How would you translate this sentence?

That is nothing to be proud of.

I can only think of

(a) Das ist nichts, auf dem man stolz sein soll.

Are there better ways to translate it?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 8 down vote accepted

A good and fluid translation would be

Das ist nichts, worauf man stolz sein sollte.

The subjunctive is crucial here because this is your own/ society's opinion. Using the indicative mode is impolite - if you are not talking to a child that has done something rude.

Your translation would be fine, too, but make sure to use the subjunctive and use the accusative instead of dative.

Das ist nichts, auf das man stolz sein sollte.

Until now, I presumed that your sentence is meant to critizise someone. If I am not mistaken, it could also express a humble self-critique. In this case, könnte instead of sollte would be better.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, dervonnebenaan! Is there any difference between using worauf and auf das? Can we use worauf only because the noun is nichts and not with other usual nouns? –  Mika H. Oct 17 '13 at 23:40

@Mika H. we got a chat for such questions ;) Also the answer to this might get bigger than you expect. I suggest you just ask a new question –  Vogel612 Oct 18 '13 at 7:17

Vogel612 is right, this is worth being asked in a new question. I actually have no quick answer for that. –  dervonnebenaan Oct 18 '13 at 20:29

In Yiddish we have the following idiomatic expression

"Das is nischts, auf was zu stolzieren."

Note that in German the general meaning of stolzieren is lost. It is only used in the context of walking ("strutting").

More idiomatic is "Das ist kein Grund zum Stolz."

German loves nominalization, and in this case it's actually shorter and sweeter.

Nun denn so sei es: Als Ergebnis einer ausschweifenden Diskussion: "Das ist kein Grund zum Stolz" is certainly not more idiomatic or sweeter than the answer from dervonnebenan, in fact it is neither idiomatic nor sweet. Instead one could say: "[...] Grund stolz zu sein". The currently posted sentence will most certainly not be used by a native german speaker. please edit your answer accordingly ;) greets Em1, falkb, Vogel612 –  Vogel612 Oct 18 '13 at 11:33

also, I think the statement that German loves nominalization is ... well... not true. A certain style might, but as far as spoken German goes people prefer the verb over the noun. English with its gerund... that is a language that loves nominalzation. German with all its dependent sentences ... not so much –  Emanuel Oct 18 '13 at 22:07

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.