Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As I am learning German on my own there are a lot of things I do not fully understand. One of those things is the use of geht um. Which I think it means something like about (it's about).
The problem is that I have seen this structure with different words but with a similar meaning (not sure though).

Examples:

An Weihnachten geht es um Liebe etc.
Beim Leben geht es nicht um das Geld etc.
An Halloween geht es um Kostümierung etc.
Worum geht es an Weihnachten?

My 2 questions are:

1. Is there any rule to know when to use beim or an?
  2. What if I leave out beim and an and just say, for example:

Weihnachten geht es um ...

I guess that, maybe, an is used with especial events and beim with nouns or verbs? Like in the example living is not about; but I do not know if I am correct or if I can use an and beim in any case.

share|improve this question
please try to edit your question to make it more readable. you should try to visually stress your question(s) and examples. > blockquote is a good tool to do so –  Vogel612 Oct 23 '13 at 7:22
Also, which preposition to chose does not depend on the "es geht um" construct and thus the opening question is misleading. –  divby0 Oct 23 '13 at 13:24

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

alright, one after the other:

1)

Yes there is a rule, and you almost guessed right concerning an.
"An" is used when it is about something in a temporally defined "moment"
examples:

Am (an dem) Montag geht es um [...]
An Ostern / Weihnachten / Neujahr / usw.

"Bei" on the other hand is used in all other cases, except the one at 2).

Beim (bei dem) Meeting geht es um [...]
Beim Treffen / Leben / Arbeiten / usw.

2)

This actually happens quite often. One can see this in combination with fixed names:

Merkel geht es um die Fortführung ihrer Politik.
Microsoft geht es bei der Übernahme von Nokia darum, [...]

Random phrase:

"es geht [etwas] um" is a fixed expression. When "etwas" is some illness it can be translated as:

Recently everyone's been having [some illness]

other things to set as [etwas]

Angst, Gerüchte, ...

share|improve this answer

In 2), the proper names are in the dative case, as becomes apparent when they are replaced by pronouns: "Ihr geht es um die Fortführung...", "Ihm geht es um ..." –  elena Oct 28 '13 at 9:49

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.