Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Could anyone suggest me most actual or appropriate analog of TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) for German?

share|improve this question
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about a language test, not the German language itself. –  chirlu Oct 31 '13 at 1:21
add comment

closed as off-topic by chirlu, Vogel612, Baz, Em1, Wrzlprmft Oct 31 '13 at 18:46

• This question does not appear to be about German language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

TestDaF is what you're looking for.

It's the most appropriate analog of TOEFL since it's accepted by all German universities. And even the test-taking procedure is similar: you will be talking to a computer (and not a human being like in IELTS).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Besides TestDaF, three tests I've heard of:

• Contrary to TestDaF, which is standard even worldwide, DSH (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) varies from university to university. And the name explains what it is.

• The certificates of Goethe-Institut: Universities ask for a C1 or C2 level.

• An option, which I don't know if is valid in Germany, is ÖSD the Österreichisches Sprachdiplom Deutsch.

share|improve this answer

To be precise, I don't think they (universities) require a C2 level, it would be strongly unfair. I've checked Uni Leipzig and it wants a TestDaF 4 (roughly between and B2 and C1), here you can have a guide about usual requirements: testdaf.de/teilnehmer/pdf/informationen_en.pdf –  martina Oct 31 '13 at 8:51

@martina That's right. However, it depends on what you want to study. For sciences, C1 is enough. For Geistwissenschaft I think one would need C2 though. –  c.p. Oct 31 '13 at 9:10

@c.p.: I strongly doubt that. It's probably reverse. –  Quandary Oct 31 '13 at 14:32

@Quandary well, I meant Naturwissenschaft; all is published in English. On the other hand, lot is lost if you read, say, Nietzsche in English. –  c.p. Oct 31 '13 at 15:49
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.