Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So in English you can "jinx" someone (Jinx you owe me a coke!). Is there a phrase in German that is the equivalent?

English reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinx_(children's_game)

share|improve this question

We don't play that in Germany. Instead, we have a thing where when two people say the same thing at the same time, they both get to make a wish. Not sure how widely spread that is, though. –  elena Nov 1 '13 at 9:12

A friend of mine and I, we used to count how often that happens; but other than that...um, well nothing more. - But I remember there was a game where you had to trick people so that they look into, um the rounded opening when you put index and thumb together. Quite stupid that game but if someone did so, he got beaten on the shoulder - similar to what's been described in your link. However, I cannot remember what you said.. I guess something like "Haha, du hast reingeguckt" or such a thing maybe?! Do other remember that game? Does that have a name, or was it only a stupid idea of my classmates –  Em1 Nov 1 '13 at 12:34

There is a custom (among grown-ups rather) to say "Na, beim nächsten Mal gibst du aber einen aus!" if you happen to meet the same (acquainted) person repeatedly the same day (provided this repetition is unexpected, i.e. this is not your next-door neighbour or co-worker) –  Hagen von Eitzen Nov 2 '13 at 15:56

@Em1: Yes, it was not only you. Augenhöhe disqualified. Reingeschaut!, or Reingeguckt!. This site calls it Bongoloch (but I never heard this term before). –  unor Nov 6 '13 at 12:18

@unor Hahaha. Good catch. I haven't heard that term either. –  Em1 Nov 6 '13 at 12:34

4 Answers 4

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The German version is "Chips Cola". It doesn't seem to be very far spread but you can find a few results via Google.

share|improve this answer

Never heard it, but nice find anyway :) –  Takkat Nov 10 '13 at 7:50

@Takkat: I actually remembered it from my childhood. –  Stefan Walter Nov 10 '13 at 22:43

The simple answer is:

NO

I also never ever have heard of any of the games mentioned in other answers and comments.

The game isn't played in Germany much, if at all. There is a card game with a similar game mechanic, called "Krieg und Frieden" (Link to German language Wikipedia) or the derivative "Autoquartett" (Link to English language Wikipedia). In these games the equivalent word for jinx is Stich. So, children adopting these games into jinx-like games would probably say Stich.

Never heard that –  Hagen von Eitzen Nov 2 '13 at 15:48

"to jinx" is in German "verhexen" or "mit einem Fluch belegen". A "jinx" (noun) is in German either "Fluch einer Hexe" or "die von einer Hexe verfluchte Person". Non of this meanings has any similarities to German "Stich". I don't know an english equivalent to "Stich". "Einen Stich machen" means to win a round at a card game. –  Hubert Schölnast Nov 9 '13 at 16:27

@HubertSchölnast But the jinx as used in the question has nothing to do with verhexen either. –  Toscho Nov 10 '13 at 13:34

One usage of saying "Jinx!" is when two people coincidentally say or do the same thing in the same moment. In contemporary German there is not such a short phrase but we may say something along the line of

"Du hast mir das Wort aus dem Mund genommen."
"Zeitgleich!" or "Gleichzeitig!"
"Das war ja Telepathie!"
"Kannst Du Gedanken lesen?"

Some of these still have some superstitious element inherent (Telepathie = telepathy, Gedankenlesen = reading thoughts) but probably not to the extent the English counterpart has.

This was not always the case. There was regionally different superstition depicted in phrases used after two people said or did the same simultaneously. Those proverbs are mostly lost today:

Die haben eine arme Seele erlöst.
Die haben einen Schneider in den Himmel gelupft.
Eine Pfaffenköchin wurde aus dem Fegefeuer erlöst.

Quelle: Hoffmann-Krayer et al.: Handwörterbuch des deutschen Aberglaubens

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.