Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The famous poem goes like this:

Wir betreten, feuertrunken,

Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

As I understand, these lines, in normal word order, should be like this:

Feuertrunken, wir betreten dein himmlisches Heiligtum.

Is my syntactic analysis wrong? If not, why is the -e ending used instead of -es. This is even more interesting considering that using -es wouldn't ruin the meter. Any insights?

share|improve this question
If you place the adverb "Feuertrunken" into first position, you'll have to make sure the finite verb remains in second position: "Feuertrunken betreten wir..." This is where the meter is lost. –  elena Nov 1 '13 at 13:16

@elena: Ah, I see, thanks! –  Armen Tsirunyan Nov 1 '13 at 13:16

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Your syntactic analysis is wrong.

Joy, die Freude, is personalized in this poem, and is addressed here with the adjective himmlisch.

Compare:

Armen Tsirunyan, I understand your question.

I understand, Armen Tsirunyan, your question.

Himmlische Freude, wir betreten feuertrunken Dein Heiligtum.

Wir betreten feuertrunken, himmlische Freude, Dein Heiligtum.

Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, Dein Heiligtum.

share|improve this answer

Himmlische refers to Freude which is feminine. It's a nominalization not of the proper adjectiv himmlisch but of the adjectiv in its inflected form: die himmlische Freude.

The word order in the original sentence is fully normal except for this inclusion, which is a normal addressing inclusion. (I don't know the proper term for it.)

share|improve this answer
So Himmlishe in this context means something along the lines of "O, the heavenly one" referring to Joy? –  Armen Tsirunyan Nov 1 '13 at 13:06

@ArmenTsirunyan Yes, it means "O, heavenly joy". –  Toscho Nov 1 '13 at 13:08

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.