Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've started reading "Lotte in Weimar" (at least: I'm trying to), and I noticed many references to "Die Leiden des jungen Werthers" through the main character of Charlotte Buff. Should I read "Die Leiden" first, before reading "Lotte in Weimar"?

share|improve this question
This question appears to be off-topic because it is not about the German language itself or its usage but rather about, well, a novel. –  Em1 Nov 13 '13 at 15:41

@Em1 - So Thomas Mann's or Goethe's writings have nothing to do with the German language? Strange. Also, what is the "literature" tag then for? –  stevenvh Nov 16 '13 at 13:34

I did say: your question has nothing to do with the German language. - If, however, there's anything inside those books that you don't understand, you can ask that here. But the order in which books should be read is NOT about languages at all. –  Em1 Nov 16 '13 at 15:19
add comment

closed as off-topic by Vogel612, Em1, Emanuel, Wrzlprmft, tohuwawohu Nov 14 '13 at 15:31

• This question does not appear to be about German language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Thomas Mann's 1939 novel 'Lotte in Weimar' recounts a fictional reunion between Goethe and the object of his youthful passion, Charlotte Buff.

One of the most famous - and infamous - works in the history of literature. Also known as one of the greatest love stories in world literature.

So yea, i think you should read 'The sorrow of young Werther' first.

I hope this helped you a little.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.