Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am hoping someone can advise as to the correct word order for the translation of "mountain view". A friend that was fluent in German says berg blick. I also came across a German Shepherd Dog breeder that has used blick berg or blickberg as a kennel name. Any knowledgeable input would be appreciated.

share|improve this question
What did your dictionary say? –  user unknown Nov 20 '13 at 4:29
add comment

4 Answers 4

»Bergblick« is the correct translation of »Mountain View«. »Bergblick« is mentally expanded to »Blick auf den Berg / zum Berg«, whereas »Blickberg« would probably be interpreted as a proper name, like »Blick mountain« in English.

(There's also a real mountain surnamed »Blocksberg« and related to witchcraft (check Google), maybe that's what the kennel was named.)

share|improve this answer
add comment

It is “Bergblick” as one can see from numerous hotel and restaurant names.

add comment

"mountain view"

The base here is view, determined by the word order. It's pretty the same in German.

So one takes Blick which further will be described more specific.

Was für ein Blick genießt du? - What kind of view you enjoy?
Einen Bergblick - A mountain view

add comment

To me as a native speaker "Bergblick" sounds awkward. dict.cc suggest "Bergansicht" which is even stranger. I wouldn't express it in one word but rather use "Sicht auf die Berge" ("view onto the mountains"). None of the suggestions beside that are wrong, they just sound weird to us. :)

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.