Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How can I translate into German this term:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_retention

Context: Data retention in device (backup battery)

Datenpufferung, Datenhaltung or may be Vorratsdatenspeicherung?

share|improve this question

As a generic term use Datenhaltung or Datenspeicherung. Vorratsdatenspeicherung is associated with monitoring the online activities, potentially in order to use these information to prosecute offense, like "Datenpiraterie" (illegal download of music, videos...). –  Em1 Nov 21 '13 at 9:16

I guess you mean Datenspeicherung, but we need to see the context to give you the right information –  RayofCommand Nov 21 '13 at 9:50
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 1 down vote accepted

The expression I'd use for data being saved on a battery buffered memory on an external device would be:

Durch eine Batterie-gepufferte Stromversorgung bleiben die Daten auf dem Gerät (dauerhaft) gespeichert.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I think the most "common" term would be

Datenvorhaltung

However, it might very well be that it isn't the best choice in the very context you suggested (back up battery).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.