Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the difference between auch wenn and selbst wenn:

1. Auch wenn ich dir die Wahrheit erzählt hätte, würdest du mir übrigens nicht glauben.
  2. Selbst wenn ich dir die Wahrheit erzählt hätte, würdest du mir übrigens nicht glauben.

Even if I told you the truth, you wouldn't believe me anyway.

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The difference actually is

• selbst wenn and auch wenn are used for hypothetical cases (even if) (see: irrealer Einräumungssatz (1))
  • but only auch wenn is used for real ones (even though)

Examples:

Selbst wenn ich das versuchen würde / Even if I tried

Auch wenn das ein Problem ist / Even though it's a problem

share|improve this answer

also read here: dict.leo.org/forum/… –  falkb Nov 22 '13 at 12:41
add comment

The meaning of both in this usage is similar.

Selbst wenn has a slight connotation of being stronger, and is sometimes used without the remaining sentence colloquially:

"Und was ist, wenn X passiert?" - "Selbst wenn... (dann ändert das auch nichts.)"

This usage is not possible with "Auch wenn".

I'd use "selbst wenn" if I wouldn't ever intend to do the thing (here: telling the truth) because it just doesn't make sense to do it, while "auch wenn" seems more like I could do that if required, but won't do (or did not do it yet). You'd be understood with both versions anyway.

RayofCommand's answer, which states that both are exactly the same, actually adds an interesting twist to it by using "Auch wenn" in a slightly different meaning, because

"Auch wenn er nur eine Maschine ist"

is more like

"Even though it's just a machine"

and can also be substituted with

"Obwohl er nur eine Maschine ist."

In that case, "selbst wenn" doesn't work as intended. Note that these examples are different from the usage you asked about.

really nice observations. They are almost different but not entirely –  Emanuel Nov 22 '13 at 11:18
add comment

With reference to OPs example (namely referring to an action in the past which does not happen and thus we cannot tell what have happened if we did the action), selbst wenn is a little more flexible than auch wenn.

Selbst wenn has two connotations:

• [a] It doesn't matter if something happened or was true. I wouldn't have cared anyway.
  • [b] Assuming something happened or was true, even then I wouldn't have cared.

Auch wenn conveys only the latter connotation [b].

Examples:

Er hatte kein Geld. Aber er hätte die Jacke gekauft, auch (dann) wenn ich ihm gesagt hätte, dass sie zu klein ist (=Sogar dann, wenn ich es ihm gesagt hätte -> [b]).

Er hatte kein Geld. Aber er hätte die Jacke gekauft, selbst wenn ich ihm gesagt hätte, dass sie zu klein ist (=Unbeachtet dessen, was ich gesagt hätte -> [a]).

Er hatte kein Geld. Aber er hätte die Jacke gekauft, selbst (dann) wenn ich ihm gesagt hätte, dass sie zu klein ist (=Sogar dann, wenn ich es ihm gesagt hätte -> [b]).

It's different if we're talking about an action what not happened yet (which is mainly addressed by the answer of @falkb). In that case auch wenn is more flexible than selbst wenn.

Now auch wenn has two connotations:

• [a] It doesn't matter if something will happen or is true. I will not care anyway.
  • [b] Although something happened or is true, I will not care.

Selbst wenn only connotes the former one here [a].

Examples:

Ich werde die Jacke kaufen, selbst wenn sie zu klein ist (=Ich weiß nicht, ob sie zu klein ist -> [a]).

Ich werde die Jacke kaufen, auch wenn sie zu klein ist (=Ich weiß sie ist zu klein -> [b]).

Ich werde die Jacke kaufen, auch (dann) wenn sie zu klein ist (=Ich weiß nicht, ob sie zu klein ist -> [a]).

Apart for the grammarians: auch wenn and selbst wenn are Fokuspartikel. –  Em1 Nov 22 '13 at 11:26
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.