Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is it correct to say:

In diesen fünf Semestern besuchte ich sowohl Kurse der theoretische als auch der angewandten Mathematik und jetzt ich will mein Wissen an realen Leben Herausforderungen gelten.

What I mean is:

During these 5 semesters of studies I have taken both pure and applied mathematics courses and now I want to apply my knowledge to real world challenges.

Thank you beforehand.

share|improve this question
Since this question is very specific, I'd recommend to ask it in the chat, rather than here, because it will likely not help others. That's likely why two people already voted to close (apart from the typos). Note that if you can't write an umlaut, write the vowel + e, i.e. ue instead of ü. –  OregonGhost Nov 27 '13 at 8:17

In case you need to discuss this in chat, let us know to enable chat for you. –  Takkat Nov 27 '13 at 8:35
add comment

closed as off-topic by c.p., falkb, Vogel612, Baz, Emanuel Nov 27 '13 at 10:23

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

2 Answers

1. It's interesting to see, that you translated apply in two different ways:

gelten

anwenden

Both are valid but only for the correct form of apply. The objectless form to apply translates to gelten. The form with object to apply something translates to anwenden.

In your sentence, it's anwenden in both cases.

2. real world challenge doesn't translate to Lebensherausforderung but to reale Herausforderung or praxisnahe Problemstellung (or swapped). Lebensherausforderung would be a challenge of ones personal life.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I would translate your sentence like that:

In diesen fünf Semestern besuchte ich sowohl Kurse der theoretischen als auch der angewandten Mathematik und möchte mein Wissen jetzt auf reale Problemstellungen anwenden.

share|improve this answer

Das Komma ist falsch, soweit ich weiß. –  Toscho Nov 27 '13 at 10:09

Korrekt. Danke für den Hinweis. Siehe auch hier –  Armunin Nov 27 '13 at 10:18
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.