Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

To say That's the reason why he came would

Das ist der Grund, warum er gekommen ist.

Das ist der Grund, aus dem er gekommen ist.

Das ist der Grund, weshalb er gekommen ist.

Das ist der Grund, woraus er gekommen ist.

all be equally valid or are any of these wrong or carrying different connotations or something of the sort? What's the difference between these (assuming they're all valid)?

share|improve this question

I am very far from the native level, but I never said any other as your first version. Grammatically can they be ok, but logically not. I hope a native will say some interesting about this. –  Peter Horvath Nov 30 '13 at 21:30

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

That is one of the most standard "mistakes" English speakers make. Valid are the following versions.

Das ist der Grund dafür, dass...

Das ist der Grund, aus dem (welchem)...

Those are correct because aus and für are the prepositions that are used with Grund

aus einem Grund - for a reason

der Grund für - the reason for

Not really fit for print but not unheard of in spoken is this:

Das ist der Grund, warum (weshalb,wieso)...

Warum And this one doesn't work:

Das ist der Grund, woraus...

It doesn't work because Grund is a defined thing and you can't use that with an open relative pointer like woraus

Compared to English, this way of phrasing ("That is the reason...") is somewhat rare. Maybe because it is a bit lengthy in German. In a lot of situations, especially if the sentences are short, people would use one of the following

Deshalb (darum, deswegen)... that's why/therefore

Von daher... "coming from there" (colloquial but super common and spreading)

Aus diesem Grund... for that reason

share|improve this answer
There is also the plain “daher” meaning “deshalb”, which is not colloquial. –  Carsten Schultz Dec 1 '13 at 21:49

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.