Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

It's my first appearance over here, I've just taken up learning German, and I've come across with a bit of problem with a phrase:

Das macht er immer.

that can be translated as "He does that every time", or "He's always doing that", as much as I know about German phrase collocation this one could be written as follows:

Er macht es immer.
Immer macht er es.

The question is about the article at the beginning of the phrase, what it is the thing behind that collocation? I know this likely could be a bit of a silly question but I don't understand the way it is formed.

share|improve this question
Actually, there's no article at all. "Das" and "es" are pronouns (referring to something mentioned before). –  Em1 Dec 3 '13 at 7:44

Is your question about the "das" being at the beginning of the sentence or about the "das" as opposed to "es"? –  Emanuel Dec 3 '13 at 12:11

@Em1, yes you're right, my mistake, and Emanuel, it's about the dasat the beginning –  Diego Jimeno Dec 3 '13 at 12:14
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Your second version doesn't sounds right to me as a native speaker. If you continued it with an adjective it would be OK (e.g., "Immer macht er es falsch."), but as is it doesn't seem to be a valid sentence.

As for your original phrase, your first interpretation is the right one (he does that every time). The second one would be "das macht er die ganze Zeit" or similar. "Immer" here refers to every instance to always as in the whole time.

EDIT

What "Das" refers to here depends on the context. There seems to be a thing he does every time. The "das" refers to that. Imagine a dialog: A says: "Your husband is so nice, he was holding the door for me.", B: "Das macht er immer." (Das = holding the door).

share|improve this answer
If "Er macht es immer" is correct in your mind, then "Immer macht er es" is also correct. And indeed, it's a valid German sentence. Admittedly, its appearance is quite rare and most likely only said by a child who's complaining about something which someone else continually does. –  Em1 Dec 3 '13 at 7:36
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.