Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm searching on Internet the similar word of "join" in a sense to join a group, for example if I see some people talking together how is the better way I can say

"Can I join the conversation"

in German?

I've already found some results, but this doesn't help me so much.

Thanks in advance.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

The translation of join is rather context-dependent, and I agree that a dictionary might not provide the full details required for every situation.

Regarding the concrete example you cited,

Can I join the conversation?

the translation would be

Darf ich (auch) mitreden?
Darf ich mich einmischen?

There are also some variants like

Stört es dich/Sie, wenn ich mich einmische? (lit. "Do you mind if I barge in?", or more loosely "May I weigh in?" or "May I interrupt?")

sich einmischen literally means to barge in or to interfere, and is used in a somewhat self-deprecating manner here to make the question more polite.

If you have other concrete examples on your mind, feel free to edit your question and we can help out.

share|improve this answer
btw he can also ask questions like this in chat –  Vogel612 Dec 8 '13 at 12:39

Thanks a lot for your help :) –  user42912 Dec 9 '13 at 17:09

I'll go for a more general answer. If you want to join ongoing activities the most common way would be to "mitverben"

Kann ich mitspielen/singen/reden/machen.

If you want to join "officially" constituted social bodies like a club or something you'd use beitreten or eintreten or Mitglied werden bei*

Ich bin ein einen Golfclub eingetreten / einem Golfclub beigetreten /bei einem Golfclub Mitglied geworden.

If you are joining groups that are groups solely because of characteristics they share, then you'd use "jetzt/auch dazu gehören"

Ich gehöre jetzt auch zum Club der 30er.

Ich gehöre jetzt auch zu den Hartzern.

share|improve this answer

Danke schön :)) –  user42912 Dec 9 '13 at 17:11

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.