Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'd like to transform

Text von drei Autoren

into

3-[adjective for Autor+er] Text.

I tried with autoriger but I find it in no dictionary. Which is the correct form?

Edit: Thanks to Ingo, I think it is more interesting to ask

When does a noun accept an "adjectivization"?

share|improve this question

First off, it must read "Autor" if I am not mistaken. –  Ingo Dec 12 '13 at 14:21

On canoo.net you find possible suffixes. But I'm afraid for your purpose you'll cannot find a valid one. –  Em1 Dec 12 '13 at 14:44
If it really has to be then I would say "Der 3-Autoren-Text". Yap. 2 hyphens in one noun. Haters gonna hate. –  Emanuel Dec 12 '13 at 14:56
Perhaps you can provide more context. I am almost sure that "Der Text dreier Autoren ..." would be better. "3-Autoren-Text" appears clumsy to me. –  Ingo Dec 12 '13 at 14:59

c.p. With reference to your recent changes to the question, see my comments to the answer. I could imagine that my comments covers your question, so I would convert it into an answer, if you think it belongs there. –  Em1 Dec 12 '13 at 15:18

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I actually wouldn't call autorig or dreiautorig wrong without questioning. The fact, that it's not present in our dictionaries doesn't make it downright wrong. There are much more worse words that are present in those and this one seems to be theoretically correct.

Go with it, it's absolutely fine in my opinion but you maybe should try to find a way around it.

share|improve this answer

In German we don't have the possibility to create an adjective out of every noun. The Word

autorig

does not exist. The correct way to express what you want so say is how you already mentioned:

Text von drei Autoren

There are few possibilities where you can create an adjectiv out of a noun, for example

Eine neunschwänzige Katze (A cat with nine tails)

But don't try this with "Autor" ;) Most Germans will get what you mean, but it is wrong.

share|improve this answer
I agree with you that we shouldn't say "3-autorig". Yet I am not sure it is exactly wrong - it seems formally correct, when we compare "5-seitiger Text" , "3-sprachiger Text". An interesting question is why we can adjectivise some properties, but not others. –  Ingo Dec 12 '13 at 14:49
For example "dreibeinige Katze", "einäugige Katze" is ok, but not something like "zweibesitzige Katze" (a cat that has 2 owners). –  Ingo Dec 12 '13 at 14:51

@Ingo Mit dem zweiten Kommentar gibst du schon die Beispiele. Die Erklärung ist etwa: Handelt es sich um eine Ist-Beziehung, so hast du ein prädikatives Adjektiv und kannst es folglich auch attributiv darstellen. "Die Katze ist dreibeinig. => eine 3-beinige Katze" "Der Text ist dreisprachig. => Ein drei-sprachiger Text" - In allen anderen Fällen ist dies nicht möglich. In "Der Text ist von 3 Autoren == Der Text gehört 3 Autoren" ist "von 3 Autoren" kein Adjektiv (sondern eine Prepositonalphrase) und somit kannst du auch kein Attribut bilden. –  Em1 Dec 12 '13 at 15:06

@Ingo Um ein wenig penible zu sein: Genau genommen ist ein Text nicht 3-sprachig. Und somit gibt es keinen "3-sprachigen Text". Oder hast du schon mal einen Text gesehen, der 3 Sprachen beherrscht. Der Text besteht auf 3 Seiten und ist somit "ein aus 3 Sprachen bestehender Text" und ein Text von 3 Autoren ist demnach "ein von 3 Autoren geschriebener Text". –  Em1 Dec 12 '13 at 15:11

@Em1 Danke für deine Erklärung, die ich jeoch nicht ganz befriedigend finde. Du sagts im Prinzip: Wenn "X ist y-ig" geht, dann auch "y-ig X", aber es handelt sich ja gerade darum, warum "der Text is 3-autorig" anscheinend nicht geht. –  Ingo Dec 12 '13 at 15:11

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.