Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

If I say

Mein Freund hat mich überredet, ins Kino zu gehen.

Does "Mein Freund" automatically mean "my boyfriend", or can it also just mean "my friend" depending on the context?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Em1, c.p., Emanuel, Baz, Wrzlprmft Dec 13 '13 at 11:55

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

"Mein Freund" never means "my girlfriend". You'd have to use "meine Freundin" for that. –  elena Dec 13 '13 at 8:16

also possible answers there: german.stackexchange.com/questions/1039/… –  Takkat Dec 13 '13 at 17:01

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I'd say that it denotes an SO more often than in English, so you should be careful, but still not always. (By the way, girlfriend in English may also simply mean a female friend.)

If without further introduction „Ich fahre mit meiner Freundin in den Urlaub“, then I mean my girlfriend. If however I say „Ich war mit einem Freund und einer Kollegin in Stockholm und bin dann mit meiner Freundin noch weiter nach Uppsala gefahren“, then I probably refer to the female friend of the first part of the sentence. I might avoid saying „mit meiner Freundin“ here by choosing „mit der Freundin“, but that may sound less friendly.

„Von Sabine hätte ich mehr Hilfe erwartet, schließlich ist sie meine Freundin“ is again something that I might say of someone who is just a friend, especially if I am taking to someone who knows her and that we are not a couple. Again, I might still avoid this by saying „schließlich sind wir Freunde“.

share|improve this answer

It's ambiguous and can also mean a regular friend. If you want to highlight the fact that he's not your boyfriend, use "ein Freund". (Ein Freund von mir, einer meiner Freunde)

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.