Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My attempts (I'm not sure of either):

1. Wir sollen Leute für das, was sie sind, akzeptieren
  2. Wir sollen Leute dafür, was sie sind, akzeptieren
  3. Wir sollen Leute dafür akzeptieren, was sie sind
share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

All of the above are correct and could be used interchangeably. Additionally, also

Wir sollen Leute für das akzeptieren, was sie sind.

is possible just as well.

share|improve this answer

And it is the most natural one I would say. –  Emanuel Dec 22 '13 at 22:17
@Emanuel I never heard a sentence like this ("für das ... , was ...). Vogel’s translation ("so akzeptieren, wie sie sind") sounds more familiar. –  lejonet Dec 23 '13 at 0:07

This translation is to literal. In German, für in context with akzeptieren can be only used for its universal meanings, e.g., to indicate the purpose of the acceptance. Therefore »Leute für das akzeptieren, was sie sind« makes as much sense as »Die Gefahr für das erkennen, was sie ist«. –  Wrzlprmft Dec 23 '13 at 21:09

@Wrzlprmft Ich sehe das Problem mit Die Gefahr für das erkennen, was sie ist. nicht. –  Toscho Dec 28 '13 at 16:44
@Toscho: Die Präposition für ergibt in diesem Zusammenhang schlichtweg keinen Sinn bzw. entspricht nicht auch nur im Geringsten dem üblichen Sprachgebrauch. Vielleicht wird dies klarer, wenn man den Nebensatz durch etwas anderes ersetzt, z. B.: »Die Gefahr für groß erkennen«, »Die Gefahr für eine große Bedrohung erkennen.« –  Wrzlprmft Dec 28 '13 at 16:51
add comment

Here come my 5 cents:

Wir sollten Leute so akzeptieren wie sie sind.

While this translation is not extremely close to the original sentence, I think that all given translations here are "unidiomatic".

This translation focuses more on the meaning behind the sentence and this ends up a little different.

share|improve this answer

Your translation is just as idiomatic as the above translations. And the meaning behind the sentence depends on your view on the world. If one likes to categorize people, then the OPs sentence are better suited. If one likes to just describe properties of people without categorizing them, then your sentence is better suited. –  Toscho Dec 23 '13 at 10:01

@Toscho that's why there is the "I think" and not "XY states" –  Vogel612 Dec 23 '13 at 16:12
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.