Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In the German phrase "aus dem Englischen ins Deutsche übersetzen", the language name, which is neutral in German, ends with "-en" after "aus dem", while after "ins" it ends in an "-e". Can anyone explain that?

How are these sentences translated into German:

I want to talk to her in German (English)
I wanted to write this message to you in German (or English)
She always speaks to me in German (English)

I am focusing on languages other than Deutsch because maybe it's a substantiviertes Adjektiv.

share|improve this question
Your question is a bit unclear, but it's "aus dem Deutschen" because aus is a dative preposition and so "Deutsch-" is in the dative and it's "ins Englische" because in is being used there as an accusative preposition "into English" so "Englisch-" is accusative. Also, your sentences don't fit well with the question you're asking. You talk, write etc. "auf Deutsch" or "in der deutschen Sprache" but translate "ins Deutsche" or "aus dem Deutschen" –  thekeyofgb Dec 23 '13 at 22:14

Random sentences in the middle od a question tend to confuse people. Soooo. Why are there these three sentences, which have no obvious connection to the question?? –  Vogel612 Dec 23 '13 at 23:49

@thekeyofgb "ins Englische" I know it's in akkusative case but why it ends with "-e" bcz it's in nominative case "Das Englisch" also the same for e.g. "aus dem Englischen" in dative, why it ends with "-en" ... plz if u can explain more... –  Khaled Dec 24 '13 at 22:20

@Vogel612 second part of my question, is what we use after "schreiben" auf/zu/in Englisch or any language else... same thing, after "sprechen" –  Khaled Dec 24 '13 at 22:23
The language names are being used as adjectival nouns. Those are adjective endings. –  thekeyofgb Dec 25 '13 at 8:27
show 6 more comments

3 Answers 3

It's a contraction of sorts of the expression übersetzt/übertragen aus der französischen Sprache, which eventually became aus dem Französischen (die französische Sprache having been contracted into das Französische). Constructions like this are called adjectival nouns, and are an odd combination of syntax and linguistic logic. Hope that helps.

share|improve this answer
add comment

[...] ends with "-en" after "aus dem", while after "ins" it ends in an "-e". Can anyone explain that?

Have a look at this table from wiktionary:

case      - declension (sing. 2)
--------------------------------
Nominativ - das Deutsche    
Genitiv   - des Deutschen   
Dativ     - dem Deutschen   
Akkusativ - das Deutsche

Thus it's in das Deutsche (Nom. Akk.) and aus dem Deutschen (Dat.)

Further in das Deutsche becomes ins Deutsche

and in spoken language aus dem Deutschen often becomes aus'm Deutschen

add comment

embert gave you the best hint about it, but made a mistake: "in das Deutsche" is an Akkusativ (accusative), not a Nominativ (nominative). For fem. and neutr. nouns the rule is that Nominativ and Akkusativ are the same form with the same article (die Frau [Nom], die Frau [Akk], das Haus [Nom], das Haus [Akk])

The preposition "in" can have two cases: in + Dativ (dative) describes a location: "Ich bin in der Schule" (I am at school). in + Akkusativ describes a direction: "Ich gehe in den Wald" (I'm going/ I go to the forest)

in + das is often shortened to "ins", likewise "in + dem" to "im".

"aus" requires a Dativ which is "Englischen" when it comes to the English language. Therefore "aus dem Englischen" has this form due to being the Dativ of "das Englisch". The article "dem" gives you a hint.

Source:

I'm a native German speaker ;)

right. thanks for point that out. –  embert Feb 27 at 16:44

I'm happy if I could help :) –  Patric Hartmann Feb 27 at 16:50
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.