Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Does "Ich werde langweilig" mean the same as "Mir ist langweilig"?

Mir ist langweilig, wenn ich hier sitze und nichts mache.

Ich werde langweilig, wenn wir vom selben Grammatikproblem die ganze Zeit reden.

share|improve this question
Um... just a small question: have you even tried to translate these sentences back?? You ask the difference of become and be here... –  Vogel612 Dec 28 '13 at 2:58

I wanted to know if they all mean the same translation ' i am getting bored' –  DerPolyglott33 Dec 28 '13 at 3:01
Why not ask that instead? Actually now that I think about it, this is a common problem with your questions. You don't give us anything we can relate to, you just place two phrases, which are of differing "unequality", and don't tell us your thought process behind the problem.... –  Vogel612 Dec 28 '13 at 3:05

Next time, i'll do it :) –  DerPolyglott33 Dec 28 '13 at 3:22
@DerPolyglott33: the way this site works best is to take appropriate action whenever you are asked for improvements or clarification via comments. This should then be done by an edit to your question. Comments or a "promise to do it next time" will not make the present question better ;) –  Takkat Dec 28 '13 at 9:18

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Du kannst nicht "Ich werde langweilig" sagen aber folgendes :

Mir wird langweilig
share|improve this answer
Yes, we can say "Ich werde langweilig"... I just did just that. I turned 33. –  Emanuel Dec 28 '13 at 20:26

but not in this context ! If you want to say that you get boring for others! –  Hans Peter Dec 28 '13 at 22:43

No.

Mir ist langweilig

means "to me (it) is boring", or in idiomatic English "I am bored"

Ich werde langweilig/Ich bin langweilig

on the other hand means "I am becoming boring/I am boring"

As Hans pointed out, if you wanted to say "I am getting bored" it'd be

Mir wird langweilig.

I dunno if this is correct but I think

Mir ist langweilig, wenn ich hier sitze und nichts mache

would be better as

Es langweilt mich, hier zu sitzen und nichts zu machen.

share|improve this answer
This should be the accepted answer –  Emanuel Dec 28 '13 at 20:26
I like the active form of your last example better. But it may be a sentiment on my side, as the second form sounds like the speaker is about to do something about that boredom, while the passive form is just whining. Anyway, both are entirely valid and idiomatic german sentences. –  Ingo Jan 12 at 23:13

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.