Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that eingehen means to arrive:

1. All die Computer sind in Costco eingegangen.

This Verb has a lot of meanings and they are:

a: To take a chance.

Er geht ein Risiko ein, in der Lotterie zu gewinnen.

b: to die out

Ohne Wasser werden die Tomatenpflanzen eingehen.

c: to comprehend

Mir geht die Regeln des Spieles ein.

Can I use eingehen with people?

Ich gehe in eine Firma ein.

share|improve this question

"Ich gehe in eine Firma ein" is funny, but do make sure not to use the dative there, "ich gehe in einer Firma ein", which is funnier still. (Funny, of course, does not mean ungrammatical.) –  RegDwight Dec 28 '13 at 12:49

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Indeed "eingehen" has a lot of meanings, but actually "arrive" is not one of them. For arrive you would rather use words like "ankommen" or "eintreffen". And for the sentence you ask about and for people in general you would use "eintreten". "Ich trete in eine Firma ein."

share|improve this answer

All die Rechner sind in Costco eingetroffen. (?) –  DerPolyglott33 Dec 28 '13 at 5:42
Ok. To this first sentence I need to say that the grammar could be considered as right. But if you use "eingegangen" it is more from an accouting point of view, like entered the journal. So "eingetroffen" is definitly the way to go. Normally you would say "Alle Rechner..." or "Die Rechner..." (if you talked about them before and you have a clear reference). a) and b) are fine. c) I am not sure what you want to say, but I think it should be "Ich verstehe die Regeln des Spiels". –  Graffl Dec 28 '13 at 6:09

But eingehen has also the meaning of ' to comprehend'. –  DerPolyglott33 Dec 28 '13 at 6:20
For sure you could find some context, where you would translate eingehen with comprehend, but not in this example. I think the other very important meaning for "eingehen" that you search here is something like "auf jemanden/auf etwas eingehen", which is like to "be responsive to somebody/something" or also "go in detail into something". I could also say: "Ich bin in dieser Situation wirklich sehr auf sie eingegangen.", which would mean that I really listened to her and cared for her emotions in this situation. –  Graffl Dec 28 '13 at 6:39

Eingehen sounds technical (like in Wareneingang) in the first sentence, but that may be what is wanted. However, it would be „Alle Computer sind bei Costco eingegangen“. If Costco was a country, then you would say „... sind in Costco eingetroffen“. –  Carsten Schultz Dec 31 '13 at 1:04

The most important use was missing and that is the one that works with people:

Ich gehe auf dich ein.

It also works with things.

Ich gehe auf die Frage ein.

It is hard to translate that into one English word but the opposite would be to ignore or to brush off all the person says.

I listen to what you say/ I do care what you want.

I say something about/answer the question.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.