Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Grammatically, the sentence above is correct? I have hesitations for e.g. "vor rund eineinhalb Jahr" or "vor rund eineinhalbem Jahr", and whether "seitdem" is in the right position?

share|improve this question
One and a half is plural in German, just like in English. –  RegDwight Dec 28 '13 at 18:51

2 Answers 2

The sentence is semantically wrong.

Let's split it up:

Vor rund eineinhalb Jahren warst du eine andere Person.

This is a point in time. You cannot insert something with seitdem as this word describe a range of time, or more precisely since a time in the past until now. But you can use, for instance, als becaus this word denotes again a specific point in time.

Vor rund eineinhalb Jahren, als ich dich kennengelernt habe, warst du eine andere Person.

If you want to use seitdem, you first must make up a time range:

In den letzten eineinhalb Jahren hast du dich verändert.

Here you refer with "In den letzten Jahren" to a range of time and then again you can insert something with seitdem.

In den letzten eineinhalb Jahren, seitdem ich dich kennengelernt habe, hast du dich verändert.

share|improve this answer

I emphasized an alternative version of the original translation: Vor rund eineinhalb Jahren – seitdem habe ich dich kennengelernt – warst du eine andere Person. This is surely not what Khaled wanted to say, but I still see no semantical problem for the alternate meaning. –  lejonet Dec 28 '13 at 16:10

@lejonet True. But to grasp the idea is quite a challenge for non-natives. You certainly should say more on this, if you like to pick this up in your answer. –  Em1 Dec 28 '13 at 16:13

I tried to clarify it. –  lejonet Dec 28 '13 at 16:35

I assume you want to say that somebody changed in the last one and a half year of your relationship? Choose this translation:

Als ich dich vor eineinhalb/anderthalb Jahren kennenlernte, warst du eine andere Person.

Person works here, but Mensch is more common:

Als ich dich vor eineinhalb/anderthalb Jahren kennenlernte, warst du ein anderer Mensch.

Your translation

Vor rund eineinhalb Jahr, seitdem habe ich dich kennengelernt, warst du eine andere Person.

is almost correct (Jahren instead of Jahr), but it describes a setting you most likely do not mean:

• Someone already was a different person than you thought one and a half year ago.
  • You know that now, because you got to know this person better.

(You could also write it like this then: Vor rund eineinhalb Jahren – seitdem habe ich dich kennengelernt – warst du eine andere Person (für mich).) This sentence might work e.g. in a mystery story.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.