Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If I want to say the price of something I sold or I bought, e.g.:

Ich kaufte das Kleid mit zwanzig Euro an.
Ich verkaufte das Kleid mit dreizehn Euro.

Is "mit" the correspondent preposition to use in such case with these two verbs?

share|improve this question

Btw, „ankaufen“ is used in trade contexts, for ordinary personal shopping we use „kaufen“. –  Carsten Schultz Dec 28 '13 at 18:44

@CarstenSchultz thx for advice –  Khaled Dec 28 '13 at 18:46

2 Answers 2

You're looking for "für" (I bought the dress in exchange for 20€).

Ich kaufte das Kleid für zwanzig Euro [an].

Ich verkaufte das Kleid für dreizehn Euro.

share|improve this answer

I agree with the existent answer, but partially. Actually that is region dependent. To be fair with Austria and Switzerland

Ich habe dieses Buch {für · um} 20 Euro gekauft.

depending where you are. Same case for verkaufen. enter image description here

share|improve this answer

+1 didn't know that! Would you me tell the source for such information/charts? –  RienNeVaPlus Dec 28 '13 at 16:56
@RienNeVaPlus sure, the answer has actually the link to to the "Atlas zur deutschen Alltagssprache". –  c.p. Dec 28 '13 at 16:57

So in almost Germany, they ask "wofür hast du das Buch gekauft"?!! –  Khaled Dec 28 '13 at 16:59
@Khaled I'd say rather "Wieviel hast du für x bezahlt?" or, if you want to use a preposition, "für welchen Preis hast du x gekauft?" –  c.p. Dec 28 '13 at 17:02
Actually, I'd prefer „Zu welchem Preis...“. –  Carsten Schultz Dec 28 '13 at 18:11

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.