Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My questions are:

1. In what contexts are they used?

2. Are they interchangeable?

share|improve this question

Although you got a good answer, you gave us no context for this question, and a quick look at Duden, Wiktionary, dict.cc, or Leo, could've shown the difference between these two words. –  thekeyofgb Dec 29 '13 at 11:51

Since zumal can be also used as a coordinating conjunction I can see that there is confusion. I don't think this question deserves downvotes. –  Emanuel Dec 29 '13 at 21:34
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

In the adverbial use of zumal, it's related to besonders by, so to say, the following equivalence:

zumal = besonders weil

Examples:

Ich würde nie wieder diese Partei wählen, zumal sie letzes Jahr nur Scheiße gebaut hat.

Ich würde nie wieder diese Partei wählen, besonders weil sie letzes Jahr Scheiße gebaut hat.

But it is conjunction as well, meaning auch weil (and besides, according to Emanuel's comment):

Er war wegen seiner lockeren Art beim Chef nicht besonders beliebt, zumal er häufig zu spät kam.

as one sees from Wiktionary.

share|improve this answer

I'd like to add that "zumal" can also carry the meaning "and besides"... it doesn't always focus as much as "besonders" does. So every "besonders weil" can be a "zumal" but not ice versa –  Emanuel Dec 29 '13 at 21:25
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.