Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am not sure if this sentence is right but here it goes:

Ich bin amerikanisiert.

Is grammatically correct? Would this be used in common speech?

share|improve this question
Please provide some context. –  lejonet Dec 29 '13 at 11:00

Ich wohne schon seit mehr als 20 Jahren in Amerika, also bin ich amerikanisiert –  DerPolyglott33 Dec 29 '13 at 14:39
I consider it as extremely unusual to use “amerikanisiert” for a person. –  lejonet Dec 29 '13 at 16:17

How do i say ' i am americanised' ? I googled it and found nothing. –  DerPolyglott33 Dec 29 '13 at 17:07
I would say something like Er/Sie ist geprägt vom amerikanischen Lebensstil. –  lejonet Dec 29 '13 at 17:11

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

When you say "Ich bin amerikanisiert" you convey a deliberate exaggeration and you would only use it in colloquial language as in "Nach zwei Wochen in Kalifornien war ich schon amerikanisiert".

You might stress such exaggerations with an additionan "buchstäblich" ("literally"). Or even more colloquial: "Nach zwei Wochen in Kalifornien war ich schon voll amerikanisiert".

share|improve this answer

Ich bin amerikanisiert.

...is not dreadful, but quite unusual. Grammatically, it is correct. Consider this article on Wikipedia (de) on Americanisation, which refers to e.g. names being Americanised, but not, generally, people.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.