Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I had an application I wrote translated into german from english, and I got the following.

Over these next few steps, [somename] will guide you through customizing your new copy of [somename2].

to

Mit den nächsten Schritten wird [somename] Ihnen helfen, Ihre neue Kopie von [somename2] nach Ihren Bedürfnissen anzupassen.

I'm sure the translation is fine, however the string is a little long for me to incorporate.

Is there a shorter alternative to this?

share|improve this question
The "nach Ihren Bedürfnissen" can be dropped. There should be a comma after "helfen". –  Carsten Schultz Dec 31 '13 at 20:48
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I would say

Im Folgenden hilft 'somename' Ihnen schrittweise dabei, Ihre Kopie (von) 'somename2' anzupassen/zu individualisieren.

or maybe

'somename' führt Sie (nun) schrittweise durch den Anpassungsprozess für Ihre Kopie (von) 'somename2'

share|improve this answer

Ah, thank you very much. –  josh Dec 31 '13 at 20:20
Das "von" vor 'somename2' sollte aber stehen bleiben. Ich nehme an, 'somename2' ist der Name des Programms. –  PMF Dec 31 '13 at 20:25

@PMF Richtig, "somename2 'ist der Name des Programms –  josh Dec 31 '13 at 20:29

Ich dachte dabei an ein Office-Dokument oder so etwas in der Art. In meinem Kopf hat es auch ohne von funktioniert, hab's mal in Klammern dazugesetzt. Kann durchaus sein, dass es ohne "von" komisch klingen könnte. –  ClickOKtoTerminate Dec 31 '13 at 20:30

I would drop or replace the Kopie (von). This is a one-to-one translation from English, which is not used in German. Alternatives: »ihre Ausgabe/Version von«, or just »den Anpassungsprozess für somename2«. –  Wrzlprmft Dec 31 '13 at 22:48
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.