Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do you say "You are something" in German?

I'd like to say it in this context :

Why can't you meet my Parents??!! You're something, you know that?!

Here's my attempt. Can one say:

Du bist (et)was.

share|improve this question

Can you put it in a wider context? I only know "you're something else". In which situation you use this? –  halirutan Jan 1 at 3:52

@halirutan "Du bist ja `ne Marke!" :D –  yankeekilo Apr 22 at 14:11

Could you add a bit more context? What you provided could be read in two ways: either as "Come on, you are not nothing, you know that?!" or as "You're unbelievable, you know that?!" –  Twinkles Apr 22 at 14:23
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 0 down vote accepted

Implying that you mean that someone is special, you can use

Du bist schon was!

or

Du bist was Besonderes!

share|improve this answer

Note that when talking about someones achievements in life you might use "Du bist [schon|wirklich] wer!". However "wer" implies a male, "was" is neuter (so be very cautious if you use it with a female) and the similiar term "Du bist [schon] eine/-r!" has a completely different meaning. –  dog Jan 3 at 7:36

Why does "wer" imply male? "Wer ist die Frau da drüben?" –  Robert Apr 22 at 14:00
add comment

"Du bist mir ja Einer!"

Expresses bewilderment at someone for doing something outrageous. Far more common than "Du bist schon was!"

Das wäre negativ oder aufziehend; beides scheint nicht zur Originalfrage zu passen. So wie ich die Frage verstehe, fragt DerPolyglott33 nach einer Aufmunterung. –  Robert Apr 22 at 14:01

In the context of an unwillingness to meet someones parents I consider it appropriate. –  Twinkles Apr 22 at 14:09

I know this expression in an humorous way only. However, @Robert, I'm not sure how OP it really meant. Might be that my knowledge of English is too little and I don't see any obvious connotation in "You're something", but for me it's not clear if this is meant to be ironically or upset or really simply encouragingly. –  Em1 Apr 22 at 14:41
add comment

Ich würde das nicht wörtlich übersetzten, sondern etwas sagen wie "Du musst Dich doch nicht verstecken". Wenn die Eltern auf erbrachte Leistungen Wert legen, könntest Du "Du musst Dein Licht doch nicht unter den Scheffel stellen" oder "Du hast doch Sachen, auf die Du stolz sein kannst" sagen.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.