Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the difference between Verhalten and Benehmen?

1. Sein Verhalten meinen Eltern gegenüber ist schön.

2. Mein Benehmen in der Deutschklasse war sehr gut.

share|improve this question

IMHO, schön paßt weder zu Verhalten noch zu Benehmen. Passen würde zum Beispiel einwandfrei, ohne Tadel, respektvoll, angemessen. –  Ingo Jan 3 at 16:55

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

To me, Benehmen has a focus on personal characteristics and manners. When it comes to humans and pets, the words are used as synonyms. Verhalten can also be used to address characteristics of technical objects:

Das Verhalten des Autos im Gelände ist ausgezeichnet.

Benehmen can’t be used here.

share|improve this answer
Good point. We could say that "Benehmen" is "Verhalten" controlled by will. –  Ingo Jan 3 at 16:57

In addition to the answer of @lejonet I'd like to point out that Benehmen is somewhat close to the idea of manners.

Er hat kein Benehmen.

He has no manners.

Also, benehmen bei itself is positive.

Benimm dich!

Behave.

while Verhalten is just a way of behaving.

Verhalte dich!

makes no sense. People would be asking "How?". It's the same as if I were to say:

Behave in some way!

that would have people asking "What way?"

share|improve this answer

I've never heard the term "Verhalte dich!", because you always "behave [in some way]" by definition. So you could only ask s.o. to behave differently: "Verhalte dich ruhig!" ~ "Stay Calm!" or "Er verhält sich immer so zurückweisend." ~ "He's always [behaving] so repudiative." –  dog Jan 3 at 7:18
@dog ... That's what I was trying to convey actually. However, there is a use "Ich muss mich dazu verhalten." without a direct indication how. –  Emanuel Jan 3 at 13:14

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.