Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Garten is masculine dative here. So shouldn't it be "dem"? Or is "Garten" here supposed to be plural?

This is a sentence from children's book I'm working through.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

The plural of Garten ist Gärten so that means Garten in this sentence is in the accusative.In is a two-way preposition so since it's in the accusative that indicates movement. This sentence means

Mimili runs into the garden.

share|improve this answer

Ah ok. I had never heard of two-way prepositions before. Now I understand. Thanks! :) –  user4723 Jan 3 at 0:08

If you're still looking for information on 2way prepositions: lsa.umich.edu/german/hmr/Grammatik/Praepositionen/… –  thekeyofgb Jan 3 at 0:15
Edited "walk" to "run", because the translation of "laufen" as "walk" is only true in some particular regions of Germany and simply wrong everywhere else. –  Phira Jan 3 at 9:43

@Phira Are you sure your "everywhere else" is not limited to Austria and Southern Germany? I think your edit changes the meaning too much. –  arne.b Jan 3 at 10:12
Also als ich noch im Rheinland von der Arbeit nach Hause lief anstatt den Bus zu nehmen, rannte ich in der Regel nicht. @Phira –  alk Jan 3 at 12:12

No. The issue is with the assumption that Garten is in the dative.

Mimili läuft in dem Garten == "Mimili is running in the garden." (and is arguably not very correct German)

Mimili läuft in den Garten == "Mimili is running into the garden." (accusative)

share|improve this answer
There is nothing wrong with the first sentence, even if most of the time one would contract "in dem" to "im" if one would not want to put special emphasis "dem". –  Carsten Schultz Jan 3 at 0:52

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.