Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Along the lines of the same question on French Language & Usage, what are good, free online resources for an English-speaker to learn German properly from scratch?

Ideally, important areas such as grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation should be covered, to the point where a self-learner can start to read, write, listen to and speak simple German, firstly for use in everyday life and work, and thereafter be able to advance to a higher level with a strong foundation.

share|improve this question
With "online resources" do you mean free? –  Phira Jun 3 '11 at 20:30
@thei Yes, thanks! –  user245 Jun 3 '11 at 20:34
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 14 down vote accepted

Try the Deutsche Welle resources. There's a free 30-lection course going from A1 to B1. In addition, there's a ton of resources for all levels up to C1.

share|improve this answer
add comment

http://german.about.com/

lots of free stuff in different formats

add comment

Try Babble, it's extremely useful for beginners. You'll learn basic knowledge of German, plus it's as user-friendly as possible cause it's designed by flash. To start learning, finding a dynamic website is very important, as I experienced.

This is not a free resource. In fact, one has to committed to periodic (monthly/quarterly/ etc) payments. –  gphilip Aug 2 '11 at 12:52

@gphilip: You could invite your friends and get a free week of it. More people you invite, more free weeks you get. right, It's potentially free. –  user508 Aug 2 '11 at 14:25

I just finish the beginner's course 1. I actually liked it a lot. I think it's worth it. –  Vaibhav Bajpai Jun 25 '12 at 9:43
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.