Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do you say "He was like I dunno" in German colloquially and formally? Can I use wie or also?

Did tell him that you're in love with him? Yes, I did and he was like I don't know

Hast du ihn gefragt, ob er in dich verliebt ist?

Ja, er war wie/also ich weiß nicht.

share|improve this question
Why don't you first translate it into English and go from there? –  Carsten Schultz Jan 5 at 10:04
I see that the question initially was formatted as ' he was like i dunno' . Please notice that this ' with a space thereafter is causing trouble in most of your questions. Kindly write what you want to quote "like this". –  c.p. Jan 5 at 21:59
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 0 down vote accepted

Ich würde schreiben:

Er war wie, also, ich weiß nicht.

This implies that the speaker wants to say something, but mid-sentence, he's unsure about what to say.

share|improve this answer
Just to make this sure: This definitly is colloquial. –  alk Jan 5 at 10:38
Ist Dir die englische Wendung „he was like“, die Du hier zu übersetzen versuchst, geläufig? –  Carsten Schultz Jan 5 at 13:36
Ich glaube schon, aber jetzt bin ich mir nicht mehr so sicher... Ich denke, es bedeutet in etwa "Es war seine Art...", "Er war nun einmal so.". –  PMF Jan 5 at 14:09
"He was like" ist eine umgangssprachliche Art, wörtliche Rede einzuleiten. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like#As_a_colloquial_quotative Ich bin mir aber nicht sicher, ob das hier gemeint ist. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 5 at 16:19
Oh, diese Bedeutung war mir unbekannt. Zum Verständnis wäre es gut, wenn die Satzzeichen in der Frage korrekt platziert würden. –  PMF Jan 5 at 16:22
show 3 more comments

The closest equivalent to the English direct speech marker "like" is definitely "so".

Ich so, "sind wir zusammen?", und er so, "weiß nich'"

This is how it's done on the school yard all day long.

share|improve this answer
Bei dem Deutsch wundere ich mich nicht mehr über das Ergebnis von PISA-Studien... –  PMF Jan 5 at 21:52
++1 ...es lag mir auch schon so auf der Zunge. ;) –  Takkat Jan 5 at 21:52
@PMF: Umgangssprache ("dunno") wird von PISA nicht erfasst ;) –  Takkat Jan 5 at 21:53
@PMF... I don't think "I was like ..." is much better. Just more common maybe. –  Emanuel Jan 5 at 21:55
Super, ich lese das nur manchmal bei fefe, der das aus stilistischen Gründen benutzt, konnte mich aber nicht mehr an die Konstruktion erinnern. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 5 at 23:35
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.