Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If it is oldfashioned, when did it become outdated?

Morgen werde ich Dich ein philippinisches Essen bekochen.

share|improve this question
your sentence is incorrect. "dich" is lowercase and "bekochen" stands with Dative and "mit" if you want to specify, what is cooked: "Morgen werde ich dich mit einem philippinischen Essen bekochen" –  Vogel612 Jan 5 at 13:13
What makes you think it might be old-fashioned? –  Carsten Schultz Jan 5 at 13:15
The sentence suggested bei Vogel is correct, but I don't understand why you don't want to use the simpler verb "kochen", like in the sentences "Morgen werde ich Dir ein philippinisches Essen (oder Gericht) kochen" or "Morgen werde ich ein philippinisches Gericht fuer Dich kochen." "Bekochen" is not old-fashioned, but is has a different undertone, like in "Seine Oma bekocht ihn." –  UwF Jan 5 at 14:21
@Volker Ok, the context is not specified in the question. But in emails and letters I still use capital letters for Du/Dein/Dir/Dich, etc., and this does not contradict the rules emitted by Duden, it is even their recommendation, see duden.de/sprachwissen/sprachratgeber/…. PS.: I don't think the word "majuscle" exists in English... ;) –  UwF Jan 5 at 15:29
Either "Morgen werde ich dich kochen." (I hope not!) or "Morgen werde ich etwas für dich kochen." or "Morgen werde ich dir etwas kochen." The verb bekochen, OTOH, means a habit: "Seine Frau bekocht ihn." means "His wife uses to cook for him." –  Ingo Jan 5 at 16:17

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I see no indication at all for the word to be old-fashioned.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=(bekochen%2Bbekocht)%2F(kochen%2Bkocht)&year_start=1800&year_end=2008&corpus=20&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2C%28bekochen%20%2B%20bekocht%29%20/%20%28kochen%20%2B%20kocht%29%3B%2Cc0 Google Ngram

share|improve this answer

A comment on this math stuff might be helpful. I'm not sure I got what the graph tells us. –  user5513 Mar 1 at 19:06

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.