Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

Was würdest du an meiner Stelle machen?
Was würdest du an meiner Stelle tun?

And is "an meiner Stelle" more common or "in meiner Lage"?

share|improve this question

For the 2nd part regarding "an meiner Stelle" versus "in meiner Lage": are they total synonyms? –  thekeyofgb Jan 5 at 18:19
I guess "an meiner Stelle" is more common than "in meiner Lage" because it carries stronger emotional binding of the situation (for translations that grossly exaggerate this difference: "if you were me" as opposed to "if you happened to be in a more or less comparable situation") –  Hagen von Eitzen Jan 5 at 18:38
add comment

marked as duplicate by Em1, lejonet, c.p., Baz, Takkat Jan 6 at 10:26

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

1 Answer

"In meiner Lage" is "in my situation / position / condition" and therefore not 100% interchangable with "an meiner Stelle" (/"In my spot" aka "if you were me").

also "an meiner Stelle tun" sounds way more natural, though both your ideas are gramatically correct.

Source: Native speaker

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.