Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Auf einem Interview mit Revolverheld.

In einer Interview mit Revolverheld.

I read in einem Interview alot, but not as much as auf einem Interview and auf is the same as bei. Can one also say bei einem Interview ?

What ist the difference?

share|improve this question
You do not give complete sentences as examples, so it is hard to tell what the expressions are supposed to mean. I doubt however that you will find occurrences of “auf einem Interview” except where the “auf” belongs to some other construction. –  Carsten Schultz Jan 5 at 20:03
In einem Interview mit Revolverheld beruht sich der Frontsänger auf einem Interview bei dem er sagte, dass... –  Em1 Jan 5 at 20:12

Danke sehr! Es gibt allerdings einen großen Unterschied. –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 5 at 20:16
Context is everything. The first sentence in your question is simply wrong. –  Em1 Jan 5 at 21:59
@Em1 "beruhen" ist mE nicht reflexiv, daher kann möglicherweise ich auf etwas beruhen, aber nicht ich mich auf etwas beruhen; ebenso müsste in deinem Revolverheld-Beispiel das sich gestrichen würden. Aber auch dann ist mE "beruhen auf" nur für Abstrakta (Ideen, Theorien, Vermutungen, Entwicklungen, Phänomene, Ergebnisse, Wirkungen, ...) üblich und nicht für Personen. –  Hagen von Eitzen Jan 7 at 23:17
show 4 more comments

3 Answers

Be aware, that prepositions can be demanded by the following noun group or the verb.

The noun interview itself demands in when referring to its documented contents or während when referring to its course. As the contents of an interview are delivered during its course, there is little difference between both prepositions. In casual German, they can be used interchangeably in most cases.

Example, where only in is possible:

In einem Interview mit Revolverheld steht, dass sie Musik machen.

Example, where während is preferrable, but in still ok:

Während eines Interviews mit Revolverhelt stand der Sänger auf und sang „Alle meine Entchen“.

Example, where both prepositions are equally suitable:

In einem Interview / Während eines Interviews mit Revolverheld sagt/sagte der Sänger, dass ihr nächstes Song „Alle meine Entchen“ heißen wird.

You can see, that the preferrable tense is different: The documentation of what he said referred to by in is present. The act of him saying it referred to by während is past.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Von, auf, in, bei, durch, mit, über, nach, wegen, gegen, um, an, für, vor, aus, unter, neben, seit, statt etc...

they all work in different contexts.

I often read auf and in. –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 5 at 22:26
@DerPolyglott33... "in" is the standard preposition if you want to convey where some information can be found. All the others are for situations, causes and conditions. You can only read something "in" an interview, if that's what you're after. –  Emanuel Jan 5 at 22:31

If i see the word "interview" with a different preposition, i'll let you guys know :) –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 5 at 23:11

Sorry, but this answer isn't helpful at all. Yes, the question in title is "What prepositions go with Interview" but for one I guess almost all prepositions are possible, for another only a few of those you mentioned are really common. –  Em1 Jan 7 at 14:27

@Em1... they are all common because there are verbs that require them to connect an object. I can find you standard everyday German examples for each of them. Yes, the answer isn't all that helpful, but this was the question. –  Emanuel Jan 7 at 16:32
add comment

These sentences are actually different. They are both correct but mean different things.

Auf einem Interview mit Revolverheld means "in an interview" in the following sense: Julia ist eine Journalistin. Sie ist auf einem Interview mit Revolverheld. She's out there, doing the interview.

In einem Interview mit Revolverheld means "in an interview" in the following sense: *In einem Interview mit Revolverheld hat Johann gesagt, dass er Journalisten hasst." Here, Revolverheld is the interviewer. In an interview, where he was the interviewer, the interviewee said something-or-other.

I hope that makes sense.

That's wrong. There are a lot of hits for "auf * Interview" but non for "[sein] auf * Interview". –  Em1 Jan 7 at 14:17

See this ngram –  Em1 Jan 7 at 14:18
auf einem Interview sein could be used, but sounds strange. Maybe, it's common among journalists, but not among common people. I'd prefer ein Interview durchführen/machen. –  Toscho Jan 7 at 15:23
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.