Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Komm jetzt aus dem Schlafzimmer heraus und iss, beziehungsweise wirst du nicht ins DieTotenHosen-Konzert gehen!

Komm jetzt aus dem Schlafzimmer heraus und iss, sonst wirst du nicht ins DieTotenHosen-Konzert gehen!

Come out of your room now, or else you're not going to the Die Toten Hosen concert!

Can I use Beziehungsweise instead of sonst for "or else"

share|improve this question
nope. Sonst - otherwise. Beziehungsweise - respectively. –  Emanuel Jan 6 at 2:20

Komm jetzt aus dem Schlafzimmer heraus und iss, andernfalls wirst du nicht ins DieTotenHosen-Kozert!- viel besser? My book says that beziehungsweise means "or else" –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 6 at 2:44
Yes, you can use "andernfalls" instead of "sonst". –  stg Jan 6 at 4:29

Emanuel, doesn't beziehungsweise mean more that respectively? I'm fairly sure it can also mean "or if not". I like to think of it as a binary XOR operator, meaning Exclusive Or, only one or only the other E.g. "Du kannst einen Apfel bzw. einen Tisch haben". –  Ledda Jan 6 at 5:04
Wie z.B. " Die Fahrt nach Oregon dauert 10 Stunden, bzw. 2 Tage wenn wir in Yreka übernachten." –  DerPolyglott33 Jan 6 at 5:14
show 3 more comments

1 Answer

up vote 2 down vote accepted

The short answer is no.

What your sentence needs is an or else, and the best for that is oder/*sonst*.

Beziehungsweise, other than the fact that it's a tad formal, means {x}, or, if !{x}, y -- as your example with the trip to Oregon suggests. The trip is 10 hours (x), or, if !(x), 2 days.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.