Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Since they have same questions on different language learning SE websites(resources for learning Russian), I'd like to write one for German language since it's a great idea to have all kinds of resources in one place.

This is a specifically created Community Wiki which gathers resources for learning German and it has been approved by the Community itself.

It should be clear that the resources are not written by one user or only by the mods, but by whoever wants to contribute.

Just write in the appropriate answer/section. If you have concerns, questions, post a meta question, so we don't clutter the comments, but you can link your meta question from the comments.

Questions regarding such resources are not allowed anymore, except for very specific and on topic requests (ask on Meta if you're unsure about your question). Follow the instructions made in the question about how to post, what can be posted, etc.

Organization

• Answers have a type of resource each.
  • If possible, state whether the material is directed towards a beginner, intermediate or an advanced audience.
  • Do not include links that lead to illegal content or sites that host such content. If you see any, please flag for moderator attention and choose "other" so you can point us to the content. We'll delete it as soon as we see the flag.
  • Both free and commercial resources are allowed, but make sure to include a note if they are. Remember the rules about self-promotion. Include also if registration is required.
  • Include links to the sites only, don't post images, they would take too much space.
  • Add the resources in alphabetical order so they're easier to find. :)

Note: new rules could be added in the future.

Alphabetical Index

• Add-ons (browser): These are plugins that you install on your browser and that help you in different ways, such as providing word meanings, etc.
  • Audiobooks: Audio files where you hear a voice reading the book you've chosen.
  • Books: Books from German authors or translations.
  • Dictionaries: Stand-alone or dictionary files for you to use on your computer.
  • Newspapers: Famous or not services that provide news for Germany and the rest of the world... in German.
  • Online courses: Free or paid services online that teach you the language through lessons.
  • Podcasts: Audio files that feature people speaking about the language or giving tips/lessons to learners.
  • Television: TV channels, shows in German.
  • Textbooks: Grammar books that teach you the grammar of the language with theory and exercises.
  • Websites: Sites that give help for learning German. They give material, tips, hints, and various help for self-learners or regular students.
share|improve this question

The problem with any recommendation is that they might not be available in your country due to copy right legal things. There is a site called Watchever.de in Germany and they have tons of stuff but I don't think it would work outside of Germany unless your skilled enough to make them think you're in Germany. –  Emanuel Nov 21 '13 at 10:40

yep try to find a germany proxy :) –  RayofCommand Nov 21 '13 at 10:59

thanks @Emanuel, no problem i can connect through Germany :) –  Ahmet Yeşil Nov 21 '13 at 11:18

For beginners, I'd recommend to watch YT videos of "Miffy". It's actually for little children, but a very easy German with a clear pronunciation. –  falkb Nov 21 '13 at 12:15

I have been watching a cartoon named Trotro in German on YT, I think that this is a pretty good source since it focuses on vocabulary. However, I must admit it is still a bit over my level. –  JimmyJackson Jan 28 at 19:02

8 Answers 8

TV-Stations with German shows

ARD
Choose Fernsehen and then Sendungen A-Z for a complete list.
Mostly News and Edutainment, it seems. I don't think there's any American Show on there

ZDF
Again, choose Sendungen A-Z for a complete list.
A quick scan revealed only "Inspektor Barnaby" as non-German series, lots of news, cooking and quiz shows

Sat1
Navy CIS, Hannibal, Elementary, Criminal Minds, The Mentalist, ...

RTL
CSI, House MD (Dr. House), The Following, The Glades, etc
... and a lot of German reality trash. Note that only the shows marked with "free" are, well, free.

RTL2
Detroit SWAT, Game of Thrones, the Stargate series, Torchwood
and again lots of no-brain German shows.

Pro7
You're looking for pictures marked with "Ganze Folge", others are trailers and snippets.
2 Broke Girls, Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother, Grey's Anatomy, Supernatural, Two and a half Men, The Big Bang Theory, ...

VOX
Arrow and CSI:NY are the only American Series marked as "free" here.

share|improve this answer

Thanks, i can use some of these sites –  Ahmet Yeşil Nov 21 '13 at 15:23

What? RTL2 has Game of Thrones ??? That is such a mismatch :) –  Emanuel Nov 22 '13 at 11:39

Does anybody know if any of these stations broadcasts a language learning focused show? –  mdelolmo Jun 17 at 17:02

Dictionaries

• dict.cc is a free, multilingual online dictionary. Read this answer for more information about the dictionary and its offline version.

• LEO dictionary excellent online, free multilingual dictionary. They also have a great discussion forum and links to audio files for pronunciation.

• canoonet Free German only dictionary. Great resource for orthography, morphology, and grammar, including conjugation tables. Cross-links to entries in DWDS, LEO, PONS, TheFreeDictionary, Wikipeida. and more.

• DWDS Free German only dictionary. Concise etymology entries. Many usage examples including quotes of "Die Zeit".

• DUDEN German only dictionary. The print edition used to be a reference dictionary for orthography. Links to audio samples of the "Aussprachedatenbank der ARD" for appropriate pronunciation.

• Mac OS X Built in Dictionary Can be expanded with 3rd party add ons and made to talk with high quality German voices. Is built into the OS and you can highlight any word on the web or in any text and get a definition in the correct language.

I also like korrekturen.de a lot; especially the "Beliebte Fehler"-section. –  Torsten Jan 29 at 13:22

Newspapers

needs content: add links to non regional German newspapers of general interest. For regional newspapers also see Wikipedia: Liste deutscher Zeitungen.

• Die Zeit:
    weekly newspaper with concise and well researched articles on all topics. Known for an elaborate language which may not be suitable for beginners.
  • Bild:
    high-circulation yellow press daily newspaper with an easy to understand but sometimes rather lurid language.
  • Heise Online: publisher of several reknowned fairly independent monthly journals on computing with a high standard of journalism (e.g. c't).
  • Handelsblatt: A daily newspaper about business and economy. It also offers a wiki: WirtschaftsWiki

Software Addons

needs content: plugin URL, supported browsers, installation instruction, short description, optional screenshot

Websites

needs content: add links to webistes with a short description only if they are not an online-dicitonary, or provide online courses, and the site is in other ways relevant to learning of the German language.

Audiobooks

needs content: URL, supported readers, free/commercial, short description, optional screenshot

http://www.vorleser.net/, mp3 downloads, free, short stories in German.

Online courses

• Babbel.com: Babbel is the new way to learn a foreign language. The comprehensive learning system combines effective education methods with state-of-the-art technology.

protected by Takkat Jan 6 at 13:04

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality answers, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.