Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sie helfen einander in Gruppen.

Sie helfen einander gruppenweise.

They help each other in groups.

Can "in groups" be substituted by gruppenweise? My book said gruppenweise means "in groups" and I dont know if it's going to fit in this sentence. Any suggestions?

share|improve this question

My understanding of the ENglish sentence is that it is ambiguous. Is help performed by grouped up individuals or is help performed by individuals within a group. I am not a native speaker so maybe it is clear ... –  Emanuel Jan 8 at 19:17

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Gruppenweise means 'group by group', as opposed to einzeln, meaning each for themselves. That would generally mean each group helping another group. If what you mean is 'they're in groups and members of groups help other members of the same group' (clumsy as that may be), the correct term is in Gruppen.

share|improve this answer

Fine answer... only, that there is no word "einzelweise". maybe you should put that in " " or something. –  Emanuel Jan 8 at 19:18

@Emanuel There is such a word, actually - see its use here in an article on paediatrics: readcube.com/articles/10.1111/… - it's a VERY old-fashioned word, and most certainly not one you would hear used. Most dictionaries have even dropped it. But let me assure you, it does exist! :) I have made a small comment to reflect that, however. Thank you for the comment. –  Chris vCB Jan 9 at 13:56
Do you mind linking to a dictionary where einzelweise is defined or a reliable source where it's used. If that word is old-fashioned I expect to find in Grimmsche Wörterbuch. But it isn't listed there. Most corpora does not contain the word. Only ngram lists a few. That said, there are people who 'created' that word as it seems to be the opposite to gruppenweise. The true opposite, however, is einzeln. I suggest to get rid of this altogether and use a proper German term instead. –  Em1 Jan 9 at 14:18

Ok, original answer amended. –  Chris vCB Jan 9 at 14:20
@Em1 And get rid of gruppenweise as well and use the proper German grupenn. ;-) –  Toscho Jan 9 at 20:38

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.