Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So nach 2 Stunden standen meine Frau und meine Kinder auf, um das Frühstück zuzubereiten.

Like after 2 hours my wife and my kids woke up to make breakfast.

Based on my book "so" has many meanings in German one of those is "such". Is "so" correct in that context?

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Em1, Wrzlprmft, Baz, c.p., Vogel612 Jan 8 at 6:14

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Off-topic: What does "like after 2 hours" look like in correct English? –  teylyn Jan 7 at 3:24

What's so important about so meaning such? –  Em1 Jan 7 at 7:38

I agree with @teylyn, it's not clear what you're asking. The "like" can be omitted in your example in English and it adds nothing, unless you clarify your exact meaning. –  Gigili Jan 7 at 7:54

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

In colloquial German we can use so for expressing inaccuracy. The usage is similar to the English like.

Examples:

So nach 2 Stunden ist die Prüfung fertig.
Eine neue Dichtung kostet so 2 bis 3 Euro.
Meine Eltern wohnen so 100 km weit weg.

In all cases the adverb (e.g. circa, ungefähr, etwa, ...) was omitted in colloquial speech.

share|improve this answer

Ich würde sagen "Nach etwa (oder circa) 2 Stunden..." oder "Etwa / circa 2 Stunden später / danach..."

share|improve this answer
This does not answer the question. We were asked whether "so" can be used similar to the English colloquial "like". –  Takkat Jan 7 at 7:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.