Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So weit Sacramento auch sein mag, fährt er noch dahin.

However far Sacramento may be, he's still going to drive there.

Wie stark mein bester Freund sein mag, kann er noch nicht dieses schweres Gewicht heben.

However strong my bestfriend may be, he still can't lift that heavy weight.

So and wie have the same meaning and they both mean such and like that but when it's combined with auch it becomes however. Is this sentence written in standard German or a regional dialect?

share|improve this question
I would also write "Wie weit Sacramento [...]", even prefer it over "So" –  Vogel612 Jan 7 at 8:30

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Wie stark mein bester Freund sein mag, kann er noch nicht dieses schwere Gewicht heben.

(little mistake there)

Also:

Wie stark mein bester Freund auch sein mag, kann er doch noch nicht dieses schwere Gewicht heben.

You version is grammatically correct, it sounds very odd though.
With these additions you more clearly emphasize the contradiction between your friend being quite strong and his inability to lift the weight.
The first sentence is perfectly fine already. None of them are in a specific regional dialect.

share|improve this answer
In the first sentence there's also missing doch. And actually I would drop noch in both sentences. –  Em1 Jan 7 at 7:42
Could you add some explanations about the original question on "however" in German? It's a bit hard to follow your answer for a non-native German speaker. –  Gigili Jan 7 at 7:58
@Gigili I am not sure in which way the OP wishes to combine the words. An example would be very helpful. Generally I can only say, that "However" can be translated to "allerdings" 95% of the time. –  Mark Jan 7 at 9:01

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.