Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Nun da wir auf der Tagung sind, können wir über das Problem sprechen.
Now that we're here in the Meeting, we can talk about the problem.

Can one just write it in this manner:

Jetzt sind wir auf der Tagung. Wir können über das Problem sprechen.

Here's another sentence but this time with "wo":

Da wo wir am Wochenende nach Oregon fahren, lass uns unseren Freund Gustav besuchen!
Seeing that we're going to Oregon on the weekend, let's visit our friend Gustav!

Is "da nun" used in formal registers or in informal registers?

share|improve this question
I don't think your "Da wo" example is correct. Maybe drop the "wo"? (It's not like "Da, wo ich hinschlage, wächst kein Gras mehr") –  Hagen von Eitzen Jan 7 at 23:10
shouldn't your final question be about "Nun da" ?, also what connection is between "Da wo" and "Nun da" except the da? –  Vogel612 Jan 8 at 6:09

Is there a comma missing after "Nun"? –  Ingo Jan 8 at 9:12

@Ingo ... I thought so too but if you see the comments in arne.b's answer you'll find a link that says you can leave it out. I would put it anyway and I think we should point out that there is NO conjunction "nun da"... there is the vague temporal adverb "nun" which means something like "now" and there is the subordinating conjunction "da" that means "as" or "that" here. The choice we have is to LEAVE the comma that would naturally be there. –  Emanuel Jan 8 at 12:52

@Emanuel exactly my thought. We could leave out the Nun completely and alternatively the sub-sentence da wir auf der Tagung sind. That we can do the latter makes a good enough case for the comma as far as I am concerned, so I would put it. –  Ingo Jan 8 at 13:57

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I would use nun da exactly where I'd use now that. It can definitely be used in a formal setting. While it is not too high-brow, I would not use it when getting a haircut, for example.

Nun da ich schon mal hier bin, könnten Sie auch gleich...

Interestingly, in informal settings I might be tempted to use wo (without da, "Wo ich schon mal hier bin..."), but this might be some regional thing (North/East).

Da ... nun seems to be usable in the same context as nun da, but note that the sentence subject goes between the two words

Da wir nun auf der Tagung sind...

As for your question of splitting it into two unconnected sentences, yes, that is possible, but you lose the connection. This question seems unrelated to the German language -- consider the same thing in English: Would you consider it a useful alternative:

Jetzt sind wir auf der Tagung. Wir können über das Problem sprechen.

Now we are at the meeting. We can talk about the problem.

Re da wo: There is a region where wo is used as a relativ pronoun ("Die Leute, wo nicht richtig deutsch sprechen können"), but I am not sure "da wo" would be used there either.

The causal connection in your example is perfectly made clear with da, which you can use whenever you would use as for a causal connection in English

As we are going to Oregon...

Da wir nach Oregon fahren...

share|improve this answer

Shouldn't there be a comma after "nun"? It seems to me that the whole "da"-sentence is elaboration about the already indicated point in time "nun". The main sentence would work with "nun" alone. –  Emanuel Jan 8 at 11:43

@Emanuel It would not look out of place, but I do not think it has to be there. Duden's rule 127 may apply. –  arne.b Jan 8 at 12:06

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.